IGNORED

76 280z Restoration

Wass

Very quick interior teardown continuation when I had an hour. Got the camera in the car for a bit more detail. Nothing too exciting besides exposing more of the rust in the spare wheel well.

A closeup of the spare wheel well. 

2 hours ago, Wass said:

Looking for some guidance on building a rotisserie, getting near that point in the teardown.

I've looked at a couple different styles, like the one from @wheee! thread that looks to use a lot of angle iron. Or the ones that cobble Harbor Freight pieces together. Visited a friend in town that had one  made from 3" square (pic below, not my car) which looks like the style from Red Wing Steel manual.

Any input is appreciated on do's/don'ts! And I'm still working on the dozen or so videos to get y'all caught up to present on the teardown.

Hi @Wass and welcome to the forum.  I'm not an admin or the owner of this thread but as a friendly suggestion it would be a good idea start your own new build thread.  That way we can follow it better as this thread is really, really long and is heading towards completion (maybe, or probably, or who really knows? except @wheee!).

33 minutes ago, gwri8 said:

Oops, sorry. 

Hey @gwri8!  I think I posted it in the right thread, but I do have @wheee! thread open in multiple tabs for reference so you gave me a scare! We have same year car and similar thread names. Maybe the mods can change my thread name to avoid confusion and just add a "Wass" to the front of it? Either way, thanks for stopping by and Happy New year!

• Like 1

Removed the hatch and continued getting rid of interior carpet and trim. Still pretty boring stuff, but fun to look back on the early progress!

About a year prior I had realized my reverse whites didn't work and I couldn't figure out why. Bulbs were good, reverse sensor was fine, etc. Not a smoking gun, but this seems pretty suspect ?

And the parts are starting to stack up back in May 2018 already!

Pulling the engine and transmission back in May 2018. This was the last major progress I made until closer to November 2018 due to work travel and life in general getting in the way. I'll keep uploading these as I have time to do the voice overs from the timelapse video. I'm trying to get caught up to present so I can start getting your input on fabrication and rust repair as that's a whole new ball game for me.

Almost had it perfectly setup on our first go, just a half inch off.

One of my buddy's raising the engine and tranny out of the engine bay.

Back to the present

As I was looking at the car today, I noticed a LOT of rust behind the driver side hood bracket. Here it is with the bracket on from before.

And today after I knocked the loose rust off. Yikes! It looks like there is a pocket between the interior panel and the exterior panel - the rust hadn't gotten through to what would be under the headlight bucket yet.

I got curious if the passenger side was the same. While there wasn't any apparent rust, I ground off a bunch of bondo/putty/silicone. Looks like the PO may have had some work done on this part at some point. I believe the car had been in a minor fender bender in the front passenger area, so probably related to that. Luckily no rust from what I cleared off so far, just some pitting and valleys between what appears to be welds.

While I'm at it, here's the rest rust I've identified so far (You can see the spare tire well rust earlier in the thread)

Passenger door hinge.

Passenger cowl/windshield/door joint.

Passenger floorboard.

And finally, one of the primary reasons I decided to take her down to bare metal, the rails. Oof!

12 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Keep going! Good work so far.

Thanks @wheee!/Mark ? I'm almost to the point of building a rotisserie. Any feedback on the design of the one you've used, things you would change? I like the simplicity of the square steel one back in post #12, but not sure what to watch out for when designing/building.

Mine was given to me by a friend that welded it up. I would make it adjustable for centre of balance... mine was unwieldy at times when rotating and I had to watch out for fingers etc!

The dual engine stand method works too, but I would try and build something that allowed for some vertical offset positioning. or a retail version that can be resold for minimal loss later or re-used on the next project!

• Like 1