IGNORED

1970 HLS30-06521 Re-Restoration

CanTechZ

On 4/26/2020 at 3:22 PM, CanTechZ said:

The screws with plastic washers are to hold the plated steel lower channel to the window glass. A total of three had come loose and dropped off, is this a common problem?

I have two pairs of L/R windows.  All of those screws were firmly in place and showed no signs of being ready to back out.  I can't imagine why yours ended up at the bottom of the door.  I wonder, perhaps, if that window was the victim of a break-and-enter at some time earlier in the car's life, with the new glass not properly secured to the frame by the installer?

13 minutes ago, Namerow said:

I have two pairs of L/R windows.  All of those screws were firmly in place and showed no signs of being ready to back out.  I can't imagine why yours ended up at the bottom of the door.  I wonder, perhaps, if that window was the victim of a break-and-enter at some time earlier in the car's life, with the new glass not properly secured to the frame by the installer?

I'm still at a loss as to why those screws would fall out on there own. While plausible l don't think it was a replacement issue, definitely not in the 42 years that I have owned the car. In the case of the right door, it still had the original vapor barrier in place and there was remnants of the factory plastic wrap over the door panel at the fastening points of the arm rest and opener. Still a mystery. 

On 6/30/2020 at 7:03 AM, CanTechZ said:

After recently removing my exhaust header I was able read the casting number on my E31 block, The casting number is located low on the left side, just back from center and in raised characters reads "0630I". Using the decoding method suggested by @katsthat would make it 50 years old today.

20200602_100516 casting number.jpg

Here is the old topic from back in 2004, where this was discussed:

Mine has 2208J. So that matches the build date of 02/72.

'72 February 8th but what does the "J" stand for? Is it just a batch symbol possibly?

• Like 2

Spent some time yesterday cleaning the dash and some of the ventilation system parts to ready for storage. I am storing select parts on shelves in my office the rest will in my crawl space and organized on shelves and bins in my garage. I under estimated the space required but I'm doing my best to be organized so that I won't have to rely to much on my memory when I eventually get on to re-assembly.

20200701_135036.jpg

20200701_135207.jpg

20200701_135231.jpg

20200701_132803_crop.jpg

20200701_132531_crop.jpg

20200701_145654_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

Yesterday I removed the black vinyl from my transmission tunnel and the bulkhead behind the seats. I also removed the insulating material from the firewall and the jute insulation from the transmission tunnel, with careful use of a scraper while gently lifting all the jute came off cleanly with out much damage. I'm very happy that all of the insulating materials and vinyl can be reused.

20200704_155648_HDR_resized.jpg 

20200704_155044_HDR_resized.jpg

20200704_155527_HDR_resized.jpg

Next I will be removing the tar mats from the floors to inspect for rust. Before removal I am following the lead of @inline6and creating templates of the tar mats so that I can make replacements to use at re-assembly. Here is a pic of the first one,

20200704_160109_HDR_resized.jpg

If time permits I will be creating cad profiles of the tar mats that would be suitable to make printable templates. If I get to this I will upload them to cad file section in our downloads area.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 7/5/2020 at 9:16 AM, CanTechZ said:

Next I will be removing the tar mats from the floors to inspect for rust. Before removal I am following the lead of @inline6and creating templates of the tar mats so that I can make replacements to use at re-assembly. Here is a pic of the first one,

20200704_160109_HDR_resized.jpg

If time permits I will be creating cad profiles of the tar mats that would be suitable to make printable templates. If I get to this I will upload them to cad file section in our downloads area.

Yesterday I finished the front floor template cad files and uploaded them to the cad files section, I'm hoping that others, besides me, can make use of them.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I've made a progress report so I thought today is a good day to do that.  Firstly I had a good meeting recently with my body man Jody. I will be sending the bare shell to his shop in mid November. We looked the car over to see what repair parts I should order, and decided on the following:

1. Zedd Findings - LH and RH front frame rails

2. Auto Panel Solutions (UK) - LH and RH outer repair panels above T/C box

3. KF Vintage JDM - LH floor panel and full frame rail, toe board, rear floor repair section

- RH full frame rail, toe board

If other parts are required we will address as we go.

Since last report I have removed the starter and transmission and finished stripping the doors of window frames and latch/lock hardware. Removed the quarter windows, windshield, hatch glass and all seals. I also stripped all ventilation system parts from the hatch. I will be pulling the engine soon.

20200926_105212.jpg

20201004_135430_HDR.jpg

20201004_140553_HDR.jpg

Edited by CanTechZ
Corrected Auto Panel Solutions name
  • Like 1

The repair parts I ordered last week all arrived this week. All look great and top marks to all three suppliers for delivering faster than promised.

From Zedd Findings - LH and RH front frame rails,

20201008_162816.jpg

From Auto Panel Solutions (UK) - LH and RH outer repair panels above T/C box,

20201008_162851.jpg

20201008_161843.jpg

From  KF Vintage JDM - LH floor panel and full rear frame rail, toe board, rear floor repair section and RH full rear frame rail an RH toe board

20201008_163219.jpg

Here is a mock up of the LH parts,

20201008_130920.jpg

• Like 3

Zedd Findings has always been a quality source of repro parts.  Now we have KF Vintage JDM (and I can personally vouch for both their product and their customer service).  The (important) surprise is Auto Panel Solutions from Britain.  These are previously unobtanium panels that are being delivered a hi-fi by a previously-unknown supplier.  RIP, Tabco.

• Like 2