IGNORED

1970 HLS30-06521 Re-Restoration

CanTechZ

10 hours ago, Namerow said:

Ouch!  Cdn$355 (plus tax and shipping).  Cdn$270+ for an OE gas cap.

Maybe I should start parting out my car.

Actually I got lucky on the price from Whitehead it was Cdn$226, with tax and shipping to my door in BC it was Cdn$265 total. Although it took six weeks to get it. His website showed it as "in stock" when I placed the order. I also got a quote of Cdn$378 from a not to far away Nissan Dealer. So I'm glad I took a chance on Whitehead, although I was a little nervous that it was taking so long. And wow, that is one pricey gas cap.

1 hour ago, Namerow said:

Any idea why filler was used on the top surface of your passenger-side front fender?  Seems like an odd place for the surface to be low.

I was also to surprised to find that and I have no idea as to why. It was done over 40 years ago. Found similar in a couple of other spots on the body, but it did seem strange on a new replacement OE fender.

Started doing some paint removal in the inner fender area and under the hood. Interesting that the factory primer on the inner fenders is dark charcoal grey, almost black and not medium grey like the outer and under hood surfaces.

20220402_074610.jpg

20220402_074947.jpg

20220402_075134.jpg

3 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Started doing some paint removal in the inner fender area and under the hood

Are you continuing to use your heat-and-razor approach for these areas?  The contours look a little challenging for a flat blade.

2 hours ago, Namerow said:

Are you continuing to use your heat-and-razor approach for these areas?  The contours look a little challenging for a flat blade.

Yes, with care. I will leave some areas where the concave curves are to tight.

6 hours ago, Namerow said:

How will your painter deal with the areas of the car where you have left the old paint intact?

At a recent meeting at my house, my body man/painter had a look over the car in it's dismantled state. He also saw some of the paint removal I had done and gave me the good ahead on using this method if I wanted to continue. When he gets the car he will be marking areas that will have paint removal done by his media blasting guy. The areas to be media blasted will only be those that are not subject to distortion from the blasting process. Then he will use manual methods to remove the remaining paint. He is very experienced in and only does quality restoration work, and has done many high level restorations for various collectors in my area that have much deeper pockets than me.

As always I appreciate your thoughtful questions and comments, please keep them coming. Lol

• Like 2

• 1 year later...