IGNORED

Slalom grind cam

chiefmd

Picked up a 77 280z that will be my winter project. PO told me that he had a "Slalom grind cam" installed. I have searched all the Z forums and the internet in

general and can't find anything definitive on this cam. If anyone knows anything about it please let me know, benefits or not. Thanks

"Slalom" might be another word for autocross.  Or vice versa.

You'll need to find some ID marks on it to know for sure but I'd imagine a slalom grind would have lots of mid-range torque and a smooth power profile across a wide RPM range.  For high-quality throttle response and steady power application.  Not a high RPM, high power, screamer cam profile.

There is usually a mark on the back of the shaft, stamped or scribed.

33 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I agree with Zed, most likely a broad powerband cam profile.

I've always read that EFI 280s don't do too well with a "hot" cam.*

*...unless you move to an independent engine management system

9 hours ago, wheee! said:

*...unless you move to an independent engine management system

Or know how to properly tweak the early L-Jetronic EFI system. They are a hell of a lot more tolerant of Big Cams than most people  think. And I know of all the reports by past members. Standalone is miles better these days. No question about that.

. But guys were running BIG cams in Toyota's and DSM analog boxes for decades. It's old school stuff but very effective. Just have to know the tricks of the traded. Nissan analog EFI is no different.

's

7 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Halfway in my 280zx restore  i have pic's of my Original 240z slalom camshaft it's new in it's Original box..what's left of it.. haha.. but the part is new!  

https://www.classiczcars.com/uploads/monthly_2017_05/20170510_102253.jpg.ed3dfa3d7ec0362bbbaac036e06b5996.jpg

Wow. Even has a Datsun Comp part number.