IGNORED

I've hit a wall..... Vehicle inspection

Elliott000

So I bought the s30 with i documents and getting a registration (title) isn't a big deal. I'm basically finished that BUT the insurance company tells me the car was registered out of province and that I need a pre registration safety inspection. Frig, how am I supposed to get and pass an inspection on a car that's completely torn down.

My options are put it together and bring it in, or do I continue on the path of building it and hope at the end of the line I don't get screwed somehow and have a car I've put a bunch of money and time into that I can't register for some reason. Ahhhh

I'd like to go with build it and deal with it later but I wanted to do marker light deletes, suspension will have heims in it so that's a no go a bunch of stuff...... Maybe I should just try and track down a local rusty $^!# bagged car and swap Vin's. How can I rivet a id plate in LOL

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

It'll be safe, but modified suspension parts etc, having heims in any steering linkage is illegal. Lots of little things that out wonderful monopoly insurance company likes to play at. I guess I could put all the stock stuff in mechanically then go from there. Hell I suppose it doesn't even need paint. It's just the headache of assembly and another full strip to finishbsome stuff and lay paint

Here in NS you can get the car registered as an Antique Car. No requirement for safety. The only negative aspect is that insurance for Antique plates only covers you on to/from car shows/ car club events, or to service sites.  Our club used to have  club rides every summer weekend to allow us to drive more and maintain the coverage.

I’ve used Hagerty for a few years and I think they expanded their policies giving you more choices.
There are others that offer limited mileage like 5000 years.
Here is a couple IMG_6126.JPGIMG_6128.JPG

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

Thanks guys. I think i will continue with it id be silly not to. I spoke with an agent yesterday and they feel that provided im not doing some shady half arse work it should be fine. They gave me the inspection list so I can be sure I hit all the points. I've got a local guy with a bunch of cars. We might pull a fast one and switch some things around LOL.... Well see

• Like 1

Thats what I did , I carried a Hagerty policy on the car the whole time I was doing the restoration, Once I was ready to put it on the road I got plates and insurance. I was living in Alberta at the time, and the car was from Alberta so I did not need a out of province inspection. But when I moved to BC I got a out of province inspection. It was quite simple and the staff at the garage were more interested in talking about the car than fretting over details. My car is fully stock so there were no modifcation issues. That said, I don't think that ICBC has much of a say in the inspection, only that the car has passed one. The inspection is for mechanical correctness and safety. In fact I still carry the Hagerty policy as well as the ICBC insurance, because the only answer I could get out of them to the question "what happens if the car is totalled in a accident" was a vague "you would get fair market value for the car". 

• Like 2

Actually, the marker lite delete could be a bigger issue than the heim joints. I had my inspection dome in BC on a car I bought from Ontario. So I know all of the exact details. 

Be aware . Do NOT take it to Canadian Tire what ever you do.  They are idiots. Particularly the one in Port Coquitlam.  Take it to a private shop that does Provincial inspections and understands Vintage cars. Unfortunately my guy left. But I used the Petrocan shop off of Austin and Blue Mountain in Coquitlam. Get on some of the racing forums, like SCCBC and REC Scene.  and you can find some intelligent inspectors. VCMC forum might be a good spot to check as well. That's where I found my guy. You are always better off dealing with an inspector who is an enthusiast.  

On VCMC forum. Send " Crazy Canadian " a PM . He may be able to help you. He was the guys who inspected my Modded 280Z and he did a very thorough but fair assessment. His new job site apparently doesn't do Provincial inspections anymore, but he may be able to recommend a good Inspection Facility. Tell him " Chickenman" recommended you to him.

Be aware that the Side Marker light delete will get you a fail. Some " other " peoples advice.  Do it after the Provincial inspection. The Provincial Inspection is only done once. 

Again. Avoid Canadian Tire at all costs!!

Edited by Chickenman
  • Like 1

If it's Pre 1974 get it insured as a " Modified Collector " car much more lenient with when and where you can drive it. The Provincial inspection may also allow for some more leeway in modifications. 

Check with your chosen Provincial Inspector. He's the one who signs the document and puts his Job License on the line. 

• Like 1

If it's Pre 1974 get it insured as a " Modified Collector " car much more lenient with when and where you can drive it. The Provincial inspection may also allow for some more leeway in modifications. 
 Check with your chosen Provincial Inspector. He's the one who signs the document and puts his Job License on the line. 
Chicken an are we neighbours! I live behind Vancouver golf club. Super close to the Petro can you speak of on Austin haha. Ill here the advice of my fellow bc boys. I'll build er into stock form and get the inspection done in primer, then I'll carry on as I have planned. Probably better for the bank at the end of the day anyway. Get her roll g and strest9out the expensive pieces