IGNORED

Interesting wire connector

grannyknot

I used shrink tubing with adhesive for some over the engine wires and the hot melt melted out of the tubes and dripped on to the heat shield under the intake manifold.  Maybe do some testing before going crazy.  Choose the usage environment carefully.  Does look interesting.

I've seen these all over FB lately. I'm skep-tickle that the low temp 'solder' bonds to the wire the same way that regular solder does. 

And it would be subject to failure in high temp under hood conditions as ZED Head warns.

It's the "Adgesive" that I'm really worried about.....

• Haha 1

These work great for 22awg water proof connections. The good ones have silicon gel in them:

k3-wire-connector-side-view-1-700x700_0.

I used to make circuit boards using surface mount technology and solder paste was used.  It was deposited with a syringe. A high temperature vapour was used to melt and flow the solder.

maxresdefault.jpg

• 2 months later...

So I paid for these connectors Aug.5th, just got them yesterday Oct 4th. They forgot to mention on their site that your package is drop shipped from China, I don't mind waiting if I know about the wait time. I assumed a couple of weeks, so I started emailing them, all you get is one of three different form replies apologizing and asking for more time. Very frustrating, however the product is very good.

Some 14 ga and 12 ga for the test pieces, using my paint striping hot air gun on Max which is about 800* F

IMG_1202.JPGIMG_1208.JPGAfter cooling I mounted them one at a time in the vise an pulled with a pair of ViseGrips, I really had to put my weight into them to get them to break, very good bond, It is the solder that breaks, I could have held the heat to the 12 ga wire longer and got better penetration of the solder.

IMG_1211.JPGIMG_1212.JPGIMG_1217.JPGIMG_1218.JPG

50 connectors for $23 usd and 8 wks, not too bad,

IMG_1226.JPG

• Like 4

I am a little old fashioned I guess. I still prefer a “western union” with a solder bond and heat shrink tubing.
This style does provide a slim finish though. Looks like the wire tore before the solder joint so that’s good.

7 hours ago, wheee! said:

I am a little old fashioned I guess. I still prefer a “western union” with a solder bond and heat shrink tubing.
This style does provide a slim finish though. Looks like the wire tore before the solder joint so that’s good.

I prefer the old way as well but I can see these coming in handy in those situations where there is limited access and you need 3 hands to juggle the wire, solder and torch or soldering gun. I forgot to mention I did an Ohms test because I thought there might be some resistance with that low heat solder but there was none.

It is actually the solder that breaks the most with a few strands of the other wire tearing away, it was difficult to get a good pic as I was shooting through a magnifying glass.  But as I mentioned I had to really haul on it to get it to snap, I guess low heat solder would have more lead in it. I might try dipping the ends of heavy ga wire in flux next time so I get better penetration to the center of the joint.

Looks like a great solution to a longstanding repair/restoration issue.  Good to have your 'lab test' results, verifying the mechanical strength and electrical quality of the resulting connection.  I'm always a bit unhappy with my Western Union-style connections because they're so bulky.  Good mechanics, bad aesthetics.  These look much more acceptable than the ubiquitous crimp-on connectors that are typically used to fix cut or broken wiring.  And a lot better than solder-and-electrical tape!  Hard to believe that underhood temps would ever get to the level of melting the solder here -- unless the connection is sitting near the exhaust manifold.

• Like 1