hls3073z

replacing floor pan and rails with engine/tranny in place

Is it possible   to replace the floor pan and rails with engine and tranny still in place?   I'm  just thinking about all the welding that needs to take place.  All  the fuel and lines have been drained.

The frame rails are still ok and don't need replacement.  Its just that rust has eaten a lot of the passenger floor pan.

Should be okay. The fuel lines ride high in the tunnel, so doubt you’ll be cutting in that area . This is if you are only replacing rails that attach to floor 

Right, not the heavy duty frame rails.  Fortunately, I caught them before the rust got there.  I need to do some practicing with my mig welder on thin metal.  its an art like painting.

52 minutes ago, hls3073z said:

Right, not the heavy duty frame rails.  Fortunately, I caught them before the rust got there.  I need to do some practicing with my mig welder on thin metal.  its an art like painting.

Yes it can be. You can always use a piece of copper behind the weld seam to prevent blowing through. I have a couple of pieces of copper tubing hammered flat on one end into different shapes. The copper won't stick to the weld puddle

Interesting idea.  What holds the copper strip in place while you are welding on the other side?

I can see that I need to keep asking questions before I do anything.

Sometimes I can hold the backer with one hand and weld with the other. Sometimes I have a helper. The Eastwood backers are really interesting. I wonder how malleable they are?

I'm about to replace rails and pans. car is on a rotisserie. My question is, when removing them, does the frame need to have bracing welded in to keep the shape of the car intact?

20181016_160623.jpg

A 280 has a stronger trans tunnel brace built in. A 240 might need bracing.

I would also recommend you remove the running gear from the car while it’s on the rotisserie too... that’s a lot of weight.

Just now, wheee! said:

A 280 has a stronger trans tunnel brace built in. A 240 might need bracing.

I would also recommend you remove the running gear from the car while it’s on the rotisserie too... that’s a lot of weight.

Yes, I'm removing everything, doing a full restoration. I was on Youtube and it didnt seem people were putting any cross bracing in, but I figured someone here would have a clue.

Car is empty except the suspension and wheels.

As you have already heard, work on small sections at a time, don’t take out both floor pans at once etc etc.

Just now, wheee! said:

As you have already heard, work on small sections at a time, don’t take out both floor pans at once etc etc.

Great advice.

What pans and rails are the best quality?

Thanks.

32 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Zedd Findings in Ontario. Great stuff.

I really appreciate it.

This is a great site, thank you.

I see the windshield, sun visor and head liner still in the car. If you are not removing them you had better cover them well. The grinding sparks and welding splatter will embed metal in the glass and burn holes in the rest.

1 minute ago, pclements said:

I see the windshield, sun visor and head liner still in the car. If you are not removing them you had better cover them well. The grinding sparks and welding splatter will embed metal in the glass and burn holes in the rest.

Everything is coming off the car, I just got the rotisserie together and needed to consolidate space. 

Congrats on doing it right. Take your time. Triple your budget, and read all the threads on restorations on this forum. Some of the best Datsun minds come here daily and I have learned EVERYTHING from these people.

2 hours ago, wheee! said:

Congrats on doing it right. Take your time. Triple your budget, and read all the threads on restorations on this forum. Some of the best Datsun minds come here daily and I have learned EVERYTHING from these people.

Thank you. I have had 8-9 zcars through the years, back when you could buy them for $3000, but never really had "the" z I always wanted. This car has only 20,000 miles on it through a little detective work, but it sat for many years. A super clean 73, going back all stock, hubcaps and all, other than triple Weber 40's and a rebuilt engine oversized a few thousandth. Converting it to 5 speed with an 83 Borg Warner.

I remember going to the Nissan dealer back 20+ years ago seeing the restored 240's they were selling and always wanting one of those, so now its time.

20170215_175543.jpg

20170215_175552.jpg

20170215_175602.jpg

20170219_183634.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 8:21 PM, wheee! said:

IMG_5127.jpg

Oh wow, your quite a bit ahead of me.

Did you blast or dip the car at all?

@DC871F

You will need to lurk on Rich's "motorman7" threads. He is going to be doing a white on Red car that in paint shop jail right now and he is also doing a 73 from the ground up for someone else. He does beautiful work!

Oh wow, your quite a bit ahead of me.
    Did you blast or dip the car at all?

I sandblasted in my shop. It’s off the rotisserie now.