IGNORED

1970 Series1 240z "barnfind"

jakay11

On 7/16/2018 at 11:21 PM, jakay11 said:

She was purchased new by my father from Bob Sharp Motors (yes of BSR fame) on July 11th, 1970.

The car was built in Dec. 1970 and delivered on Feb. 18th 1971.

Lovely car, but can you clarify the above? How could he "purchase new" a car that wasn't actually built until 6 months later...?

What an I missing here?

Waiting list I would guess. 

@Dr. 240Z tried to buy one in eastern Canada in early 1970 but was on a waiting list.  He was still waiting by spring of 71 and saw 2 on a lot when arriving to work in western Canada. He bought the one that had not sold that same day... these cars were hard to get!!!  It was built in Jan 1971.

• Like 1

Interesting.  Numbers seem to be quite jumbled.  According to Carl's inventory, HLS30-14886 was built in November 1970, HLS30-15647 was built in October, and HLS30-15652 was built in December.   I would imagine that the car was ordered six months before it was built.  Furthermore, it would be a 1971 model year.

Edited by 26th-Z
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 26th-Z said:

Interesting.  Numbers seem to be quite jumbled.  According to Carl's inventory, HLS30-14886 was built in November 1970, HLS30-15647 was built in October, and HLS30-15652 was built in December.   I would imagine that the car was ordered six months before it was built.  Furthermore, it would be a 1971 model year.

I suspect the date for 15647 is not correct, possibly a typo.  My close sibling 15320 is also a December build.

The car looks great.  If you have pictures of any paperwork that you have, and the car's ID tags, that would be fun to see.  Some people get really caught up in the numbers, and as you can see, there are still open questions about how the cars were built and how they got distributed around the US.  Even with the paperwork there will probably still be arguments about whether it's real or not, what "model year" it is,  what "series" to call it, whether Bob Sharp touched it or not.  Good stuff.  See if you can find a Bob Sharp fingerprint somewhere on it.

Remember also that anything original to when the car was built might add more value than being shiny and clean.  Patina, provenance, history, whatever.  I wasn't kidding about the fingerprint.

• Like 1

Next set of pictures...

Note MFG date 12/1970, and VIN of 15369 (on same tag as well as vin plate)

(Title not incl is 2/71 NJ)

Bill of sale (to Bob Sharp Motors) is in 2nd pdf.  A few pages in on PDF 1 are the street mods by Bob Sharp Racing (performed by Jake the Mechanic, and no that is not documented).  (also lots of receipts and registration cards...)

somewhere in there was the deposit and delivery papers too.  Even the original key tag from dealer inventory.

Enjoy!

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

Zcar docs 1 of 2.pdf

Zcar docs 2 of 2.pdf

Edited by jakay11