IGNORED

what is the this stuff on panel below windshield

hls3073z

I just removed that panel below the windshield where the wipers come out.  I noticed some kind of foam on the  inside edges.  Does anyone know what that stuff was for  or what I should replace it with? 

The photo is on my google drive here.  First time trying this shareable link on the forum.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13KxGJFvrIMpDghKjs5d3Uya8ajS48ZJR

• Like 1

It's a thin foam. I believe it is to prevent rattles.

Also it is always better to upload the pictures to the site. Mike will preserve them for posterity. We have had more than one thread go bad when the hosting site links were broken

• Like 1

My advice is: remove the foam, deal with the rust underneath, and DON'T replace it...  I seriously doubt you'll notice a difference (except the lack of a place for moisture to collect).

We've seen numerous cowls from clean - > cancerous rust from the underside up through the top.  IMO that was a lame stop-gap idea that served no real purpose other than ruining a lot of perfectly good cowls.  If you feel the need to dampen that particular part of the cowl I think you'd be better off using a truck bed "liner" type material that you can brush or roller apply.

Edited by cgsheen1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hls3073z said:

thanks, I was hoping I could copy the pix from my google drive over to here, but I haven't figured out that yet.

Just take a screen shot of the Google picture and post the screen shot here if unable to transfer the photo file.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

It is a high density foam pads. Standard on some of the early car possibly others. I have seen them several cars.

72 body with 71 interior, Eibach, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Zstory, SUs, BRE Libre wheels and front spoiler.

• Like 1