IGNORED

Too rich for my blood

pclements

Lots of stone throwing in glass houses from the peanut gallery in here.

The seller has not implied this example is a concurs restoration worthy of being bestowed with Gold Medallion status.

Yes the price is a bit steep for the current market, but this vehicle was someone's pride and joy for many years and should be respected for what it is.  Who knows the circumstances for the sale?  Perhaps a decline in finances, health issues or even a death of the owner may be the reason it's on the market. Remember, the owner built the car based on their specifications, wants and desires...not yours. 

The Z car community was a more forgiving and supportive group in the past.  It now seems one might be crucified by the tribe for using the wrong radiator clamps.

17 minutes ago, DatsunZGuy said:

Lots of stone throwing in glass houses from the peanut gallery in here.

Wouldn't they be throwing peanuts?  Did you read the ad copy?  It's a consignment shop, blowing up its goodness.  Blame the shop.  They hyped it as perfect.

" He meticulously kept record of every maintenance item he ever preformed to the car, from day one! Including, gas, oil changes, and repairs. This particular 240z has a rich history as well as a showroom new look with less then 49,000 original miles. It is completely original and unmolested. That means this car has stayed in showroom new condition for 47 years! Meaning, it is a special part of Datsun history."

• Like 1

I think that people nit-picked it because it was supposed to be show room perfect.  It should be like going back in time to 1971.  

The sales shop should start over, with new pictures.  The reflection of the show room floor in the paint makes the paint look like it has severe orange peel.  Overall, it's just a bad presentation.

My general thoughts are that the car is priced right at the top of the main stream cars. No crazy history or exceedingly rarity excluded. If you choose to price a car in this range, you need to be prepared for serious scrutiny. If this car was 10k or even 20k it wouldn't receive this level of critiquing. If you are going to price yourself in the #1 category you should be prepared for the corresponding review. The previous owners views, desires or hardships have very little bearing on whether the car is worthy of the value that they have attached to the car. Even though we may be sympathetic to that...

• Like 1

Also the Datsun crowd may be a little a different, now that we are seeing classic Datsuns trading for 50k up through 100k. That kind of investment changes your perspective on flaws and their importance. The days of the cheap Z are gone, unfortunately or not...

• Like 1

What do you boys think this car is realistically worth? I am considering making an offer. Been looking for a couple of years and nice ones are hard to find, although I only use BAT and Autotrader classics as my search options. Also not sure as to which Z is the best option for long term ownership. A nut and bolt restoration or an original unrestored Z such as the one referenced in this post. I owned a 1970 Z back in 75 and still have fond memories of that car. 

First thing to consider is what you will do with it. Store it away a enjoy owning it.? Do you want to drive it?
This is nice car and I think is is a mid 30s valve assuming all is as presented. I would not consider offering a purchase price without seeing and touching it. If you want to drive it and personalize it you could do better and less money.
Just my twenty cents

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

On 6/18/2018 at 3:18 PM, Zed Head said:

I think that people nit-picked it because it was supposed to be show room perfect.  It should be like going back in time to 1971.  

The sales shop should start over, with new pictures.  The reflection of the show room floor in the paint makes the paint look like it has severe orange peel.  Overall, it's just a bad presentation.

"If you go down in the streets today, Baby, you better
You better open your eyes
Folk down there really don't care, really don't care
Don't care, really don't"

18 hours ago, siteunseen said:

"If you go down in the streets today, Baby, you better
You better open your eyes
Folk down there really don't care, really don't care
Don't care, really don't"

I recorded all of the Zeppelin albums on to red Radio Shack 8 track tapes.