IGNORED

rear wiper

Patcon

@rossiz

A year or two ago you were talking about adding a rear wiper on you Z, did you ever do that?

I found these and was wondering if they were the 280zx rear wiper that was needed...

20180502_165756.jpg20180502_165759.jpg20180502_165804.jpg20180502_165808.jpg

I found these the other day when I was cleaning up the shop.

• 3 months later...

hey guys - thanks for thinking of me, sorry i've been so far out of the loop. for the past couple years the z has been running well and i've been pretty consumed with other projects. built a 69 vw bug convertible from a rusty, rotten piece of junk to a decent daily driver, learning how to weld in the process so now i'm pretty dangerous. 

mark is right: the su's have been soooo wonderful - not a single hiccup and i drive her just about every day, rain or shine, commute is 50 miles round trip. just topped off the oil yesterday, and while i was at it checked/cleaned the plugs and they were all a nice consistent tan. tickle the choke lever in the morning and she starts instantly. best thing i did to that car and i can't see ever going back to all those fussy electronic bits.

i did one pretty big z project a few months ago: swapped out the squishy z seats. was going to go the miata route, and found a set of porsche seats that looked like they'd drop right in. turned out to be a major pita - 3 weekends of cutting, welding, re-building. the z seat wells are a goofy tapered shape, partly due to the big tunnel hump with its exhaust pipe lump on the drivers side, and partly due to the horizontal beam at the front. makes for two different height mounting points front vs. rear. at some point i will cut out and re-build the entire floor pan area to make it flat and wide enough to put in normal flat-mount seats.

at some point i'm gonna strip the z down to bare chassis, do some body mods (tail lights, valence, grille, shave markers, eliminate panel joint at sugar scoops) and re-paint. that's when i'll probably do the rear wiper. probably a year or two from now, based on the current list of projects in the queue...

i do pop in from time to time and read some of the threads - good to see you all are still at it!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rossiz said:

hey guys - thanks for thinking of me, sorry i've been so far out of the loop. for the past couple years the z has been running well and i've been pretty consumed with other projects. built a 69 vw bug convertible from a rusty, rotten piece of junk to a decent daily driver, learning how to weld in the process so now i'm pretty dangerous. 

mark is right: the su's have been soooo wonderful - not a single hiccup and i drive her just about every day, rain or shine, commute is 50 miles round trip. just topped off the oil yesterday, and while i was at it checked/cleaned the plugs and they were all a nice consistent tan. tickle the choke lever in the morning and she starts instantly. best thing i did to that car and i can't see ever going back to all those fussy electronic bits.

i did one pretty big z project a few months ago: swapped out the squishy z seats. was going to go the miata route, and found a set of porsche seats that looked like they'd drop right in. turned out to be a major pita - 3 weekends of cutting, welding, re-building. the z seat wells are a goofy tapered shape, partly due to the big tunnel hump with its exhaust pipe lump on the drivers side, and partly due to the horizontal beam at the front. makes for two different height mounting points front vs. rear. at some point i will cut out and re-build the entire floor pan area to make it flat and wide enough to put in normal flat-mount seats.

at some point i'm gonna strip the z down to bare chassis, do some body mods (tail lights, valence, grille, shave markers, eliminate panel joint at sugar scoops) and re-paint. that's when i'll probably do the rear wiper. probably a year or two from now, based on the current list of projects in the queue...

i do pop in from time to time and read some of the threads - good to see you all are still at it!

Glad your ok! Is one of those wiper motors I posted the right one? It yours for the cost of freight if you would like it?

Thanks for the offer - really appreciate it. At this point I’m gonna hold off accumulating any more z parts. The project is pretty far down the road and I’m up to my ears in stuff w/no place to store anything. When the time comes, and I’m actually in fabrication mode, I’ll evaluate if that’s the right solution or perhaps a motor from something more recent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rossiz said:

the su's have been soooo wonderful

I agree. I ran them on my 77 for 3 years, IIRC, when I was in Nevada. Loved them! And that was in the year 2000. Kept the EFI just in case and a good thing I did. When we came back to CA they told me I had to reinstall the EFI. Boy was I disappointed.  I miss them.

Edited by rcb280z