IGNORED

SS Bumpers from Vietnam

9 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

It had two fitment problems - the arc of the center section was too shallow and hit the body and the mounting point on the right side did not line up with the hole in the body.  I contacted Dave Patton and he asked me to shoot a set of measurements of the arc across the rear panel and my OE bumper (now painted). 

I just went out and checked my rear bumper, I have a 1/4" gap at the center between the bumper and back of the car and 1/2" gap just before the bumper bends around the sides of the car. So I guess mine were part of that same lot, never would have noticed it otherwise.

Mine's close, like an eighth inch off the body. I remember sliding paper between to make sure there wasn't contact.

If you wanted or it needs to be farther away couldn't you do it with extra washers? The deal Mr Patton gave me was a no brainer. I'd ordered black powder coat but he called and said they were not perfect and alas wouldn't send them to me. So he offered me a deal I couldn't refuse. Very happy with them and so glad I didn't get black. The chrome bumpers and shiny lip Rewinds are perfect. 8^)

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

I just went out and checked my rear bumper, I have a 1/4" gap at the center between the bumper and back of the car and 1/2" gap just before the bumper bends around the sides of the car. So I guess mine were part of that same lot, never would have noticed it otherwise.

I don't know that all OE bumpers exactly matched the curve of the rear valance.  My OE bumper has the same 1/2" gap at ends, about 1/8" gap in the middle.  The aftermarket bumper center piece would not even bolt up due to the interference with the valance - and that was using my OE mounting brackets.  I toyed with spacing it out with washers only to realize that was also moving the side piece mounts rearward - aarrrggghhhh!  I'd say you have a perfectly fitted bumper. ;)

10 minutes ago, jfa.series1 said:

Update: the order has been placed and money changed hands, now the wait begins.

I must have missed it on the site, but how much were they?  How is the shipping from Vietnam?

1 hour ago, JSM said:

I must have missed it on the site, but how much were they?  How is the shipping from Vietnam?

The bumper is $230, shipping $120, PayPal fee $17, for a total of $367.  The shipping time was estimated at ~10 days to delivery.

WAAAAHHHHHH - I hate waiting, I want it NOW!  :cry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2018 at 11:03 AM, jfa.series1 said:

The bumper is $230, shipping $120, PayPal fee $17, for a total of $367.  The shipping time was estimated at ~10 days to delivery.

WAAAAHHHHHH - I hate waiting, I want it NOW!  :cry:

I got a quote from these guys today. $645 USD for front and rear bumpers shipped to Toronto, Canada . Their quote mentioned that it covered import duties and other fees (not sure how they can determine that). 

Anyways, I am going to wait eagerly to find out how you make out before taking the plunge. Thanks for having the nerve to be the first to try them out.

12 hours ago, colinc said:

I got a quote from these guys today. $645 USD for front and rear bumpers shipped to Toronto, Canada . Their quote mentioned that it covered import duties and other fees (not sure how they can determine that). 

Anyways, I am going to wait eagerly to find out how you make out before taking the plunge. Thanks for having the nerve to be the first to try them out.

Regarding import fees, when I placed the order the agent replied that a value of $50 and wording "Bumper for test" would be on the pkg.  I'll have updates as soon as it arrives.

• 4 weeks later...

OK gang, I promised updates and here they are:

I have product!  Whoo hoo!!!  The package arrived a while ago and I got everything open and inspected.  The packaging was very good, all sealed in a durable tape.  The bumper parts were very well wrapped in bubble, then fabric, then clear tape.  The finish is outstanding - looks like chrome.  The kit includes the bolts to connect the end caps to the center bar - note the square holes are larger than an OE bumper.  I intend to work on the install this weekend (100 degrees forecast for here! :Grrrrr:), I'll post more updates on that.

Here's some info on the timeline:  I ordered and paid on 05/25, asked that the PayPal invoice state 1971 240Z rear bumper, no rubber, no holes.  They complied perfectly.  Shipping to TX was previously quoted at ~10 days.  Tracking was not initially provided and they sent a followup email yesterday to check on the arrival and satisfaction (nice touch).  I replied not yet, didn't have tracking to check.  They immediately sent UPS tracking that showed delivery scheduled for today.  The pkg. was handed to UPS in Viet Nam on 06/18 and leads me to believe their process is a make-to-order.  That makes sense to me as they advertise a huge assortment of bumpers available.

Keep tuned to this station for more on this continuing story...

100_3053.JPG

100_3055.JPG

100_3056.JPG

• Like 2

Oh, it will probably rust. I am guessing the bumpers are SS plated steel.  Just like the "stainless steel" grills you can buy at Walmart or Sam's Club.  Still, the prices is attractive and my OEM bumpers are way less than perfect.

Edit:  As previously mentioned, I would be concerned that the stainless steel scratches very easily.  After all, chrome is way harder than stainless.

Edited by David F