IGNORED

SS Bumpers from Vietnam

Ferg, here's a good read if you're refurbing lights. It's a 240 but some good info in there thanks to [mention=27035]Dr. 240Z[/mention]

Thanks Cliff. I definitely have the backs to do. I like the idea of painting the inside bright white, do you notice they’re brighter. Obviously not the reflector. Also is there a consensus on changing out from incandescent to LED. There are advantages. Less power draw, brighter appearance, very low heat by output. Disadvantage could also be the change in appearance. LEDs act differently and thus make the lighting look odd sometimes. I plan to keep the normal bulbs but don’t want surging lights either.
Older cars can see the lights dimming based on high demand power draws (my high school stereo system did that in my 1975 MGB is had back then) or a low idle Not sure if this happens much in the Z but I’ve had some car that the headlights got brighter as the engine accelerated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Cliff. I definitely have the backs to do. I like the idea of painting the inside bright white, do you notice they’re brighter. Obviously not the reflector. Also is there a consensus on changing out from incandescent to LED. There are advantages. Less power draw, brighter appearance, very low heat by output. Disadvantage could also be the change in appearance. LEDs act differently and thus make the lighting look odd sometimes. I plan to keep the normal bulbs but don’t want surging lights either.
Older cars can see the lights dimming based on high demand power draws (my high school stereo system did that in my 1975 MGB is had back then) or a low idle Not sure if this happens much in the Z but I’ve had some car that the headlights got brighter as the engine accelerated.

You can also line the inside of the lamp (even refinish a corroded lamp reflector) with air conditioning silver foil tape which has adhesive backing and conforms to the curved shapes very easily. Very simple to do and that definitely increases the reflection of the bulb and the perceived brightness.
Unless you're going for absolute originality, the advantages that LEDs give your electrical system made them the choice for me. I only kept a couple of incandescent bulbs in the dash so the light dimmer still works.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dmorales-bello said:

You can also line the inside of the lamp (even refinish a corroded lamp reflector) with air conditioning silver foil tape which has adhesive backing and conforms to the curved shapes very easily. Very simple to do and that definitely increases the reflection of the bulb and the perceived brightness.
Unless you're going for absolute originality, the advantages that LEDs give your electrical system made them the choice for me. I only kept a couple of incandescent bulbs in the dash so the light dimmer still works.

And you have an awesome car! I couldn't remember if you switched to the 240 bumpers so I did an image search and your original bumpers look fantastic with the color scheme you came up with plus the way better protection in case of an accidental bump from the rear.

I love your car! You set the bar way over my head. :love:

• Like 1

Wow, Cliff! Thanks for the compliments! I'm honored in receiving such high praise from you.
I have considered swapping out to the smaller 240Z bumpers many times, even purchased the mounting plates, but every time I think of doing body work and paint on the rear of the car I talk myself out of it. [emoji38]

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

That’s depressing Cliff, I’m sorry. I’ll push this back into the center of the lane. I finished refurbishing the marker lights (45 yrs of dust and grime) and polished the lenses. I know people prefer the 240z front market lights but it think the 280z ones looks just fine. I’m waiting on the lower air dam still. I hate when companies don’t tell you something is back ordered. They take your money and sit on it for weeks and months. Side note I reached out to Vintage Dashes to get a new dash. And they are on a 3+ month back order and the guys wasn’t very outwardly friendly in our chats. Said, if you wait until they come in to buy, we’ll charge you more. Already $925. I wish there was a another options.

Here’s the front with the lights fixed.
e8267c58757118dc2f2343c9cd552ddd.jpg

It's good you didn't go with the rubber strips. Today I was tightening/replacing hardware on the rubber strips. I'm glad I have the portacool in the garage when I want to work on the car this time of year.

20210708_164416[1].jpg

• Like 1

My limited research drove me away from the rubber. They have value on a daily driver or in populated areas where you have less control of what happens to your car when parked. I live in a small town, so not much traffic (unless it’s tourist season) so the chances for a small bump are less likely.
I installed a split system AC in my garage and that thing is awesome. Had it set a 74 today....my old garage was a Chinese Sweat Shop.

• Like 1

My limited research drove me away from the rubber. They have value on a daily driver or in populated areas where you have less control of what happens to your car when parked. I live in a small town, so not much traffic (unless it’s tourist season) so the chances for a small bump are less likely.
I installed a split system AC in my garage and that thing is awesome. Had it set a 74 today....my old garage was a Chinese Sweat Shop.

54 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

I put in a minisplit.  Been working in there since last fall-nice and comfortable.  Love it!