IGNORED

Discussion on idea for "air horn" fix

Elliott000

Here's where I'm at tonight. It started going in good then the heat moved it abit. She burned a few holes i had to chase on the stock sheet metal but overall its there! Not as pretty as I wanted but it's solid. It's actually 16 guage I used over the straight run. Did that because of the double sheet metal I saw inside of that "tube". Now I need to figure out how to work those front little wing pieces ahead of the rad support. Slowly but surely. FedEx delivered my tabco stuff today yeehaw I got me some fresh sheet metal. Hopefully since the quarters are in relatively decdnt shape away from the rotten lip... I wont be chasing holes around ha.

I appreciate all the input aswell, this is a different ball game than blasting 1/4 inch plate together. Hopefully once I'm through with all the front end stuff the rear quarter panel fit up and welding will be smooth. I'd hate to screw that up.

20180801_185833.thumb.jpeg.cf0319496f1a81d61e744154d1d41b05.jpeg20180801_185843.thumb.jpeg.20cefaecbc53c76e2647de9d0d4c27f0.jpeg20180801_152300.thumb.jpeg.f010441d4b7606be35c91d23598d1120.jpeg20180718_113543.thumb.jpeg.ed5fb1c9ceca94cd11c6a8b7bd09fe35.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'll have a look i was giving them a look ever and seemed pretty decent, heavier guage than stock and seemed well pressed. Thanks for the heads up tho. I'll make sure it wasn't pinched or stretched

8 hours ago, Elliott000 said:

Did that because of the double sheet metal I saw inside of that "tube". Now I need to figure out how to work those front little wing pieces ahead of the rad support.

Damn, that looks good and strong, you don't need help just encouragement. Remember that the wings in front of the Rad support carry very little weight so don't need to be as beefy as the tube you have already built, in fact once you get in front of the Rad support you don't even need a tube, angle iron would do the job. Just make sure you provide a drainage hole near the front of that structure in case any any water gets in the fresh air hole.  

• Like 1

There's a local guy who basically is selling a front clip. The frame rails and stuff are shot but those wings and the core support are in great shape. Mine are wrinkled and thrashed because of the impact it took at some point. Im considering buying it for 175 and then cutting and replacing those pieces with nice straight ones.

9 hours ago, Elliott000 said:

There's a local guy who basically is selling a front clip. The frame rails and stuff are shot but those wings and the core support are in great shape. Mine are wrinkled and thrashed because of the impact it took at some point. Im considering buying it for 175 and then cutting and replacing those pieces with nice straight ones.

Absolutely!!!! Time and money ahead...

The reviews on the Tabco panels are sort of hit or miss, but they are really the only ones available. It sounds like the metal at the step can get over stretched and split when they are stamped. Good to know...

The rockers are good and solid throughout. I agree on the massaging, i held the quarters up and they will need some flexing to get good alignment. I just wanna research best ways for panel fitment, im gunna but weld but get such mixed reviews on small gap vs no gap vs whatever other method haha. The tabco are a bit thicker than stock so ill have to work around that. I might go the cleco clip route and nick off the top 3/8 of an inch then be left with a zip disc wide gap to weld into. By zip I mean the thinnest I can get.

http://www.musclecarrestorations.com/articles/tech/metal-work/welding-sheet-metal.html