IGNORED

5 speed swap

CRS

25 minutes ago, CRS said:

Right the diff type of oil and capacity. 

I'll just use the MT90 for both to keep it simple. 

I would not do that, use the GL-5, the diffs are noisy enough with the recommended oils.

9 hours ago, CRS said:

Thanks. Manual mentions GL5 but I hear not to use. I'll go with the MT90.

b03e3ba0-fb37-48da-9c47-60ccafa79f34.jpg

Not sure where you got that picture, but that's not the spec for an old 280Z or 280ZX 5 speed.

The MT90 will work great, the Synchromesh probably will too.

Here's the 1983 280ZX spec.

image.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CRS said:

I'll get the redline GL5 (57904)

Thanks for saving my diff!

Darn it.  I got your diff confused with your transmission.  Diff fluid is easy.  GL-5 is fine, just make sure it's for differentials.

This is for your transmission:

(Edit - I wrote all of this because I'm using a GL-5 in my transmission and it's been fine.  Swepco 201).  But that's a whole other story)  There is a ton of stuff out on the internet about "GL-5" and "yellow metals" and mass destruction.  Probably all derived from one guy whose transmission had problems after he changed transmission fluids.  I've only seen one story from the person who actually had problems, and he was in the middle of a race.  I think that the real bad actors are the extreme pressure (EP) additives used in differential fluids.  The GL-5 spec. is just a specification and tells nothing about what's in the fluid.  It's a red herring.

Just get this MT-90.  It's the one everyone uses.  It's GL-4 and it works great.

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-90-75w90-gl-4-gear-oil

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-50304-Transmission-Transaxle/dp/B000CPCBEQ

Edited by Zed Head

Red line MT90 trans GL-4

Red line 80W140 Diff GL-5 (based on my temp range)

that is what I use as well. Red line often comes up as a good brand, I have no idea if other brands are better or worse, but I figured it was in line with the FSM so (GL-4/GL-5) and red line MT90 mentions non corrosive to brass right on the label.

On the brass issue, I have opened up a couple transmissions, on one of them the brass looked like brass the other looked like bronze (duller browner color). I have no idea if this had anything to do with the oils that had been used, after all its been over 40 yrs, but there was a noticeable difference.

Edited by Dave WM
corrected GL-5 weight

I thought I'd mention the removal of my pilot bearing. 

Tried the grease and dowel method but after 43 years it wasn't coming out.

Ended up renting a puller from autozone. 

The pics of the puller on the flywheel are for reference only. When I made the actual pull it was against the crank only.

20180502_101340.jpg

20180502_101246.jpg

20180502_101606.jpg

20180502_101554.jpg