IGNORED

Always scratching the paint when removing orange air filter

jalexquijano

Jalex, I think that people are just messing with you, for fun.  Your mechanic, or you, is/are not being careful when he/you remove(s) the air filter cover.  Banging it on the shock tower.  I would cover the shock tower with tape until you get your problems solved.  Or place a towel (orange or not) over the shock towers before you remove the covers.  If your mechnic is dong the damge, tape, if it's you, the towel.

Those painted strut insulator nuts look nice.  You can see the edge of the other fender paint protector.  You just need more protection.

42 minutes ago, Patcon said:

What is actually causing the scratches on the the shock tower?

I was not trying to mess with you Jalex, it's been I while since I have removed one and I know the clearances are tight. There is a way to do it with out damaging the paint. Is that being done with tools or the bolts in the cover? If I remember right you need to remove the bolts from the cover before you try to remove the cover. Padding the tower with a towel will help too.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Jalex, I think your Hex Bolt Receivers that hold the Air Box base to the Carbs are "Too Long" .   Or maybe your Wing Nut Bolts are "Too Long" either way they should only screw in about 3/8" or possible 1/2".  Thus removing the airbox cover they come out 3/8" to 1/2". This should be enough clearance to not scratch the Strut wall.   These Wing Nut bolts also must stay attached to the removable airbox. 

Here is my '72 air box assembly with pics....   The Wing Nuts for attaching the airbox only screw in about 3/8" and the wing nut bolts stay with the removable air box housing because of a rubber grommet sandwiched in the hole channel.   See my pics....

I know this is late ... but thought I'd post these pics..

Good luck.....   

20180823_170448.jpg

20180823_170413.jpg

Attached Cover.jpg

Retained Wing Bolt - Removing Cover.jpg

Wing Bolt Grommet in Channel.jpg

Edited by moritz55

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I posted asking this exact question about 9 month ago.  It's doable, but it takes patience and practice.  Once you figure it out, you'll wonder what the fuss was all about.  I still put a thin sheet of flexible plastic against the wall.  I use the white plastic wall covering at Lowes - comes in 4' X 8' sheets.  It's super handing stuff.

Edited by Jughead
Typos