IGNORED

Cleaned pistons and other parts

Fired up the brass wire brushes, ultrasonic cleaner and bucket of spray 9 cleaner.  Also used Zep Purple for the heavy stuff.

All went well... now an expert at removing rings.

Can't separate the oil pump yet... it is a tough one.  My propane touch will convince it tomorrow.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Fired up the brass wire brushes, ultrasonic cleaner and bucket of spray 9 cleaner.  Also used Zep Purple for the heavy stuff.

All went well... now an expert at removing rings.

Can't separate the oil pump yet... it is a tough one.  My propane touch will convince it tomorrow.

Those Webers you had in that ultrasonic cleaner, how did they come out?

I just did a few parts from some SK's when I first got the Ultrasonic,

Yesterday I did all 6 pistons.  They came out great.  3 things that make a difference:

1. Pre-cleaning helps.  I soaked pistons in hot water with Spray 9 heavy duty cleaner and used a brass wire brush to scrub. When the rings were removed I used a 4mm and 2mm ring cleaner to get the groves.

2. The ultrasonic bath must be very hot with a good cleaner (spray 9 again as it is nice to aluminum)

3. Run the ultrasonic for two 10min cycles with a movement between.

It is not nearly as nice as Duff'd vapour blasting but they come out very clean.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeff G 78 said:

I tried to clean pistons and no matter what I used, they wouldn't come clean, so I gave them to my machine shop and they came back looking great.  Same with the front cover.

I think next time I'll get a hot plate and big enamel lobster boiler and boil them with spray-9 to see how it works.

If you go the water cleaning route, you need to oil them to prevent rust, especially the spring metal plates inside.

I read that some have luck just soaking in diesel/furnace oil for 24 hours.

Edited by 240260280

Started to fit new rings (ITM).  

- FSM Gap range is 0.230mm to .0380mm (avg = 0.305mm)

- Rule-of-Thumb Gap range is 0.249mm to .0332mm (avg = 0.291mm)

- The gap for the original top ring in #1 was 0.69mm.

- The ITM gap is 0.290mm (perfect as is). 

Any idea why the stock gap was so big?  0.69mm = 0.027"  (maybe the previous engine builder mixed 0.27mm for 0.027") ?

Edited by 240260280
typo