IGNORED

1975 280 starts for 2 seconds and shuts off???

jlenownnab

What freakin gives!!! So I found the problem why it starts and runs for 2 seconds and shuts off, so I'm good right? Wrong! I mentioned above that sometimes when I turn the key it clicks. So I just replaced the starter and the ignition, still doing it. Next... when I first start it now it has a bad miss, sounds like its running on 5 cylinders. After you let it run for a while 5 to 10 minutes at idle it smooths out? Is that related to an electrical part going out? Is that maybe an injector problem? Any help is always appreciated, thanks in advance.

Stewart

have you gone thru all the EFI connections and grounds? that would include injectors and sensor plugs. There is a lot of connections, they often develop corrosion. Don't forget the battery cables and clamps. Don't cheap out here, get some good battery cables, I prefer the kind with the molded on lead connectors. Feel the battery post after trying to start (and get nothing) see if they are getting warm.

2 hours ago, jlenownnab said:

Next... when I first start it now it has a bad miss, sounds like its running on 5 cylinders. After you let it run for a while 5 to 10 minutes at idle it smooths out? Is that related to an electrical part going out? Is that maybe an injector problem? Any help is always appreciated, thanks in advance.

What are the engine RPM?  If RPM are low you might get some missing and stumbling.  The AAR is designed to keep RPM up during the first 30 s to 1 m.

When you say 5 to 10 minutes do you really mean 1 to 2 minutes?  Time feels longer when things are bad.  Einstein's alternative law of relativity.

RPM are great, same as they have always been. The car idles very smoothly, you can't really tell it's missing until you rev it. I started it twice the other day, cold start in morning had no miss. I started it in the afternoon after sitting all day and it had the miss. I let the car sit and idle while I came inside and posted the problem on the forum, as slow as I type it was an easy ten minutes. Can ran perfect after warmed up. Any ideas on the click when I turn the key??

4 hours ago, jlenownnab said:

RPM are great, same as they have always been. The car idles very smoothly, you can't really tell it's missing until you rev it. I started it twice the other day, cold start in morning had no miss. I started it in the afternoon after sitting all day and it had the miss. I let the car sit and idle while I came inside and posted the problem on the forum, as slow as I type it was an easy ten minutes. Can ran perfect after warmed up. Any ideas on the click when I turn the key??

I don't have a "great" on my tach?  Is there a conversion to a number?  

You've kind of changed the problem description.  Now you're saying that sometimes when cold it runs fine.

You didn't say which way or how far you're turning the key.  The BCDD clicks when you turn it to On, from Off.  And vice versa.

On 3/14/2018 at 2:20 PM, jlenownnab said:

This car has been great for the last year. The only flaw has been sometimes when I turn the key it clicks once and does nothing. When I try starting it a second time it fires right up. 

Found it.  You need to tell us where the "click" noise is happening.  And what other things are doing like the voltmeter needle.  How long do you wait before trying a second time.  Just need more details.

8 to 9k rpm. When I turn the key all the way on it sometimes just clicks, when I turn it back off then try again sometimes it starts and sometimes it will click again. I keep trying til it eventally starts. I don't know if warm or cold has anything to do with miss, I was just saying how it acted yesterday, it seems to just be random and no rhyme or reason. When I tried it a few hours ago everything was great like there was nothing wrong with it.