IGNORED

Custom Twin Cam build!

wheee!

3 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Is the 12-14k for a complete twin cam engine build? That is how I read it. That is is with non Variable Cam Timing...

I believe that is head only - the casting, cams, etc.

Edited by rturbo 930

I didn't get that impression. I would be surprised if the head ran that much but possibly. The casting itself wouldn't be that expensive to make,, even with all the post casting treatment. The cams and associated parts shouldn't be cost prohibitive either. Maybe though...

I guess what I was looking at was how much to get a casting. If it's 12-14k for a complete motor I can save a lot of that because I can do most of the lower end myself and some of the upper end too. If it's 12-14k in the head, that's a different story!

Hi everyone.

Here is a link to the FAQ on the head.

http://www.datsunworks.com/Blog/faq-for-twin-cam-cylinder-head/

The blog has most of the posts from Hybrid Z without all the discussion in between. 

I'm in production as we speak on 4 non-VTC heads and one VCT prototype head that is for me. The head is based on the Honda K20 and uses all K20 valve train for the exception of the cams and the timing chain. The S7 tool steel cam cores are produced by me and then after heat treating are sent to Schneider Cams for semi finishing. They can also grind the lobe profile as well or you can send it off to another grinder. Semi finishing is basically grinding all of the bearing surfaces to spec. 

The pricing being thrown around are based on what I think it's going to eventually take to produce the heads. Keep in mind there is no "economy of scale" on these. It is and will always be a very small market. The price will never go down. 

I'm happy to answer any questions but the FAQ has most of the pertinent info. 

Thanks

Derek

• Like 1