IGNORED

Value question on a 100k all original 78 280z

Remember that the stock rims are 14" which has a big impact on tire selection.   Also, you seem to be in weight reduction mode,  alloys would be lighter.
What's the largest wheel and tire combo that can be ran without fender modification?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Here's what I went by and they work fine without modifying anything. Read down to tire sizing, middle of the page.

1 hour ago, riverstonefly said:

What's the largest wheel and tire combo that can be ran without fender modification?

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic05a02/25-1149

• Like 1

RIV

Ride height more than anything wil determine wheel and tire combinations. I installed 16X7 MOMO 5 stars initially with a 50 series tire. Had some clearance issues at first because the tire was actually underneath the lip of the fender arc. If you get the tires completely under the car a 17 should be good with a really high performance low life tire. To me personally the tires under the car makes it look cleaner. I had to use a spacer behind the wheel that still could be milled down more for an even better fit. Do lots of research maybe even get an installer to mount a set or two for trial fitment. If you are out underneath the fender arc you are limited in lowering the ride height. You can find many combinations that allow more options if the wheel and tires are under the car.. GOOD LUCK!

IMG_20130623_195225_466.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

With stock struts and springs the 16" look good on my 280 but not the 240 which has 15" wheels. The 15s keep the low roof height and the speedo a lot closer to accurate without buying new lower suspension.

I have 50s on the 15" & 55s on the 16" without rubbing and stock ride height.

True but 15” tire selection has really gone down. 225/50/15 is scarce. 

• Like 1

RIV
Ride height more than anything wil determine wheel and tire combinations. I installed 16X7 MOMO 5 stars initially with a 50 series tire. Had some clearance issues at first because the tire was actually underneath the lip of the fender arc. If you get the tires completely under the car a 17 should be good with a really high performance low life tire. To me personally the tires under the car makes it look cleaner. I had to use a spacer behind the wheel that still could be milled down more for an even better fit. Do lots of research maybe even get an installer to mount a set or two for trial fitment. If you are out underneath the fender arc you are limited in lowering the ride height. You can find many combinations that allow more options if the wheel and tires are under the car.. GOOD LUCK!
IMG_20130623_195225_466.thumb.jpg.3ce9de11ab171bd2e0b6fe5bbf91985c.jpg
Great read thanks for the info

With stock struts and springs the 16" look good on my 280 but not the 240 which has 15" wheels. The 15s keep the low roof height and the speedo a lot closer to accurate without buying new lower suspension.
I have 50s on the 15" & 55s on the 16" without rubbing and stock ride height.
[emoji106]

Finally had a day off and decided to take Oneil78 out for a drive!

IMG_20180307_081509541_HDR.thumb.jpg.e2bbcc9370e3cc0dfa184a5f8fbb6119.jpgIMG_20180307_081626845_HDR.thumb.jpg.b95218da9676a3dd985b96fa722329a8.jpg

Drove a total of 69 miles and was doing about 105 MPH when I heard SWWWOOOSHHH........[emoji19] The heater core argggg! Yup antifreeze spewed into the cab on the passenger side of the car! Spent the rest of the afternoon stripping and drying