IGNORED

Value question on a 100k all original 78 280z

Hello everyone,

I'm a noob LOL and have been patiently searching for the right Z. I have an opportunity on a 2 owner 78 280 w/100k still has the original dealer LIC frame and MSRP with tons of records, Very freaking clean but have no idea what the actual value is.... HELP

00R0R_lcyfM9QSQKC_600x450.jpg01212_g0sHwW8Crqs_600x450.jpg00O0O_12XFbaBFUvr_600x450%20(1).jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That's a really nice car. If the interior is as nice as the exterior, good dash with no cracks I'd say a high of $10,000? Good deal at $8,000? Just guessing out loud.
Google classic car value guide. Look for, never mind here it is
https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools
Hell I haven't been able to find one this clean for that kind of $, been watching bring a trailer, eBay and Craigslist all have been north of 15k

If it's as clean and rust free as it appears, it will be a bargain at almost any price when compared to any Z that has rust and the costs involved in body repairs. Get the best one (body wise) you can afford. Prices are going up rapidly and the trend is now including 280's. I'd be shocked if one that clean didn't go well over 24K.

• Like 1

A one-owner, light metallic blue 280Z (a ‘77 or ‘78) that looked really great inside and out was just on Craigslist near Reno, NV.  Sold quickly...too quickly for me to try to buy it.  It was listed at a price just under $10k.  Bummer.  At the other extreme, I looked at a ‘77 in CA that the seller gushed about, but it has rust and cracked seats / dash.  It was originally listed for close to $17k.  It’s price has been slowly drifting down.  The seller might be a bit optimistic about his car and I decided not to say anything derogatory.   Another light blue metallic in AZ was listed for about $15k and sold before I could get to see it.  The pics looked very good.

I’m really trying to get a handle on the market, since I’m trying to buy a 280Z, myself.  If only my timing was better.

19 minutes ago, riverstonefly said:

This one's already over 11k and it's not original and I bet it brings 15k +

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-datsun-280z-33/

It’s restored, modified, and has a fresh engine, I believe.  I really like the wheels and bumpers, but I’d prefer FI over carbs.  The non-factory paint color is nice, but I’d prefer an S-30 color.  But someone will fall in love with that car.  And I wouldn’t be surprised if the auction format on BaT separates some more money from the “winner’s” wallet than you might see from a traditional sale.

The high-water mark for a 280z on Bring a Trailer is $36,000: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-datsun-280z-3/

Based on the photos of the engine bay, this car looks like it's in better shape. $36k was an outlier, but if the rest of the body and interior matches, and originality is important to you, then anything under $25k may be a bargain.