JLPurcell

Bracket for 1972 Electric Fuel Pump Upgrade

I am thinking about sourcing and installing an electric fuel pump. I had one on my car at one point but it was lost in the restoration. I believe that I have found an original pumb but cannot find a bracket. Does anyone have photos of the original upgrade kit or the bracket?

fuel pump.jpg

7 minutes ago, duffymahoney said:

I thought it mounted to the gas tank?  

I took a look under the car today and do not see any obvious mounting points. I did see two holes in the cross bar just forward of the tank and in prefect location for the pre-wiring that is in the harness. 

There's a bracket that mounts on the passenger side leg of the diff carrier that holds the pump.

• Like 1

Hopefully useful reference:

17033-E4200 Electric Fuel Pump Bracket, as used on S20-powered cars from 1969:

dEZbki.jpg

Mine, with NISMO-branded, Jidosha Kiki-made, Bendix-licensed pump:

qf58d5.jpg

Edited by HS30-H
    Swapped photos
    • Like 2

There are actually a couple of these for sale on eBay.  One with the same part number that HS30-H mentions in his post:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-fuel-pump-mount-mounting-bracket-17033-E4200-USED/382363930288?hash=item5906aa8eb0:g:zwQAAOSwkLhaG5cd&vxp=mtr

And another that is identical to the one on my late manufacture 260Z:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/77-78-Datsun-280Z-fuel-pump-bracket-OEM-used-painted-clean/382374963056?hash=item590752e770:g:RAEAAOSwHNxaTa88&vxp=mtr

Ironically both from the same seller.

Looks like Nissan changed the design of this over the years.

Mike.

1 hour ago, Lumens said:

My 72 came with that bracket and the wiring installed. I just figured all the 72's here came that way.

I know that the car was pre-wired for the fuel pump, but I was not aware that the bracket was part of the preparation package. I will have to have someone else weigh in on this one. I am also wondering if I can run both my mechanical and an electric fuel pump. I know you could blank out the mechanical, but I want the original pump to stay in the system for appearance. 

fyi....The picture that I posted above shows a bracket I pulled from a 1974 260...(that I installed on my 71 240).

7 hours ago, JLPurcell said:

I know that the car was pre-wired for the fuel pump, but I was not aware that the bracket was part of the preparation package. I will have to have someone else weigh in on this one. I am also wondering if I can run both my mechanical and an electric fuel pump. I know you could blank out the mechanical, but I want the original pump to stay in the system for appearance. 

You can run both pumps. By 74 (maybe earlier) Nissan used both pumps to try to resolve a fuel percolation, vapor lock, problem with limited success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Maras said:

You can run both pumps. By 74 (maybe earlier) Nissan used both pumps to try to resolve a fuel percolation, vapor lock, problem with limited success.

Mark, thanks. 

On 2/21/2018 at 8:35 AM, siteunseen said:

Mr Purcell I don't know if you've seen this before but it's a pretty good write up, just an FYI. :)

http://jarvas240z.blogspot.com/2013/01/electric-fuel-pump-installation.html

THANX SITE.

As the reassembly of mine transitions write-ups like this will help us all avoid MAIN HARNESS BBQ's!

• Like 1

On 2/20/2018 at 9:12 AM, Mike W said:

There are actually a couple of these for sale on eBay.  One with the same part number that HS30-H mentions in his post:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-fuel-pump-mount-mounting-bracket-17033-E4200-USED/382363930288?hash=item5906aa8eb0:g:zwQAAOSwkLhaG5cd&vxp=mtr

And another that is identical to the one on my late manufacture 260Z:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/77-78-Datsun-280Z-fuel-pump-bracket-OEM-used-painted-clean/382374963056?hash=item590752e770:g:RAEAAOSwHNxaTa88&vxp=mtr

Ironically both from the same seller.

Looks like Nissan changed the design of this over the years.

Mike.

Received the bracket today. Bent, no rust, easily straightened,  but the first thing I did was drop it off at a custom rubber stamp vendor to have a stamp made to replicate the part number on the bottom of the bracket. Once that is complete I will straighten, sand blast, powder coat, and stamp the part number back on it. It will then be ready for the NOS pump. Will post more once project moves along.

part number.jpg

Edited by JLPurcell
    • Like 3