IGNORED

Looking for advice on sequencing of restoration work

Kevin McSweeney

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/2/2018 at 7:32 AM, ksechler said:

Kev:

Looking good.  You might consider taking that front fender off.  I think that you will find the front of the rocker is rusted out too.  You can get new rockers from tabco.  I cut the front off of these and used them for a replacement.  It's a pretty common trouble spot.

Well I've been crazy busy with work but I got to removing the hood and fenders, and also dropped the engine and transmission out. Looks like exactly what you described, I'll need to section and replace the front of the outer rocker panels. 

Some photographs of the engine and bay attached as well. Some rust under the battery tray as I expected, but doesn't look like anything too serious. Would like to hear some thoughts.

For the next few weeks I'm going to continue stripping the exterior, interior and the ancillaries from the engine bay to get ready for media blasting. Also looking forward to giving the engine itself a good cleaning while the car is at the body shop!

I work long hours as a project manager for a structural steel company, so only have time to work on the car at the weekends. On the bright side, I have access to all the sheet metal and welders one could imagine!

IMG-1408.JPG

IMG-1410.JPG

IMG-1379.JPG

IMG-1380.JPG

IMG-1381.JPG

IMG-1382.JPG

IMG-1402.JPG

IMG-1391.JPG

IMG-1392.JPG

IMG-1393.JPG

IMG-1394.JPG

IMG-1398.JPG

• Like 1

Well that doesn't look too bad at all,  you'll want to drill out the spot welds on the battery tray so you can remove it and get access to the rust underneath, hopefully you'll find the metal under the tray still solid enough to keep. That area can be a tricky repair sometimes because of the compound curves. I would say you're moving pretty quickly.

• 1 month later...

Haven't had a chance to get on here much lately but I've been continuing to strip out the car and it should be ready for media blasting in 2-3 weeks.

Quick question - What is the correct method of adjusting the rear hatch left/right? I want to get it lined up asap so that I can drill out the holes for the rear wing. The pictures show the bigger gap on the left. I did some reading but couldn't find an answer?

Also included some photographs of the rear deck and hatch area inside to show that it's pretty clean and rust free.

IMG-0275.JPG

IMG-0276.JPG

IMG-0277.JPG

IMG-0268.JPG

IMG-0271.JPG

IMG-0272.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Guys,

Dumb question; I'm planning to send some parts out to be plated this week, but I'm having difficulty separating the side window glass from the frame per the pictures below. Is there a trick to this that I'm missing? I don't want to use too much force where glass is involved. 

Thanks in advance.

IMG-0109.JPG

IMG-0108.JPG

Edited by Kevin McSweeney

Don't try to peel the glass off by pulling up on one end.  Better to try to run a thin blade between glass and frame.  The blade on a putty knife might be too short to offer enough reach.  A metal kitchen spatula might be a better bet. 

There's supposed to be a rubber gasket between the glass and the frame.  A bit less than the wall thickness of a bicycle inner tube, IIRC.  On its own, this might stick enough to generate a lot of resistance to separating the glass from the metal frame.  If the PO decided to 'improve' it, or even replace it, by using RTV sealant or the like, you may have a battle on your hands.

32 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Did it have bolts in it you removed? If so it is either glued or stuck. I would vote for stuck. Some heat or warm water might help. I agree, proceed with caution!

Yes I removed all of the bolts myself. I'll give that a try, thank you.

3 minutes ago, Namerow said:

Don't try to peel the glass off by pulling up on one end.  Better to try to run a thin blade between glass and frame.  The blade on a putty knife might be too short to offer enough reach.  A metal kitchen spatula might be a better bet. 

There's supposed to be a rubber gasket between the glass and the frame.  A bit less than the wall thickness of a bicycle inner tube, IIRC.  On its own, this might stick enough to generate a lot of resistance to separating the glass from the metal frame.  If the PO decided to 'improve' it, or even replace it, by using RTV sealant or the like, you may have a battle on your hands.

There was the standard gasket between the glass and frame - I removed it. I'll give the blade a try. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

It has been over 2 months since I last updated this, but rather than do it here I'm actually going to move this into a more coherent build thread as this one started off a little messy. In any case, the car is entirely stripped down and has been media blasted. It is being epoxy primed right now and the next step is to do some surgery on the roof to undo the damage done by the god awful sunroof. Keep an eye out for the new thread as I'm looking forward to some feedback and advice. Thanks.

• Like 1