IGNORED

1972 240Z Sells for $37K at Barrett-Jackson Auction

lonetreesteve

2 hours ago, lonetreesteve said:

Nice looking early '72  model with the vertical defroster lines in the rear hatch glass.  Does the $33k include the buyer's and seller's fees?

It sold for $30K plus the 10% buyer fee, so they show it as selling for $33K.  The seller fees are deducted from the $30K that they receive.   The actually did a brief "car connection" segment on the car before it went on the block.  It's nice to see the Z's starting to get some air time and positive coverage in the US televised auctions now.

-Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike B said:

It sold for $30K plus the 10% buyer fee, so they show it as selling for $33K.  The seller fees are deducted from the $30K that they receive.   The actually did a brief "car connection" segment on the car before it went on the block.  It's nice to see the Z's starting to get some air time and positive coverage in the US televised auctions now.

-Mike

Thanks, Mike.  I also saw the Car Connection segment on this car with the father and son, but missed the auction which was sometime after that. I set the DVR last night to record the repeat of the auction and will fast-forward through and watch it tonight.  I love seeing the father and son car stories, as my son and I worked together on two 240Z refresh projects when he was in high school. Now he's in med school. Time sure does go by quickly.

• Like 1

I ran into the owner of that Z on the Merritt Parkway highway rest stop in CT 2 weeks ago. I was pulling my plugs to check my fuel mixture and thought I had toasted my Pertronix pickup.  He was driving with his son, in a new Maserati.

Needless to say after he mentioned he owned one that was to be auctioned at the Barrett Jackson in Mohegan, I asked him about the color of my plugs to see if he thought they were too lean and his eyes told me he had no idea what I was talking about. Not sure what that says about his authenticity in the video, but that was my take on him. Seemed like he had the bankroll, but not the wrenching experience I was expecting. Too bad too, I could have used some experienced feedback on my mixture.

Edited by DaveR

5 hours ago, DaveR said:

I ran into the owner of that Z on the Merritt Parkway highway rest stop in CT 2 weeks ago. I was pulling my plugs to check my fuel mixture and thought I had toasted my Pertronix pickup.  He was driving with his son, in a new Maserati.

Needless to say after he mentioned he owned one that was to be auctioned at the Barrett Jackson in Mohegan, I asked him about the color of my plugs to see if he thought they were too lean and his eyes told me he had no idea what I was talking about. Not sure what that says about his authenticity in the video, but that was my take on him. Seemed like he had the bankroll, but not the wrenching experience I was expecting. Too bad too, I could have used some experienced feedback on my mixture.

Interesting. So do you think they did any work on the 240Z themselves?  From what you're saying maybe they just installed the new carpets and emblems after the car returned from the body shop.

6 hours ago, DaveR said:

I spoke to the owner at the Larz Anderson cars and coffee the weekend before the auction. You are right, not the mechanical type. Sounded like he outsourced all the work. Was complaining that the body shop had not done the engine bay respray as requested plus not installed much of the new rubber and parts he supplied. Was selling the car so that he could buy out the Ferrari he was part owner of. 

I looked at that car and would need another $10k to be really nice. I was at Mecum in Indianapolis where a 1970with a okay restoration sold for $34k plus the 10%. There are another selling in August at mecum. Auctions tends to inflate everything. Great as a seller, sometimes okay as a buyer

Edited by Revans134