IGNORED

Bringing a 1977 Z back life

Av8ferg

• 2 years later...

Update....

My Z is finally home, tucked in my garage.  Quite a journey getting her here.  With a busy job, home construction delays, COVID, push back from my wife and logistical challenges it finally made it home. 

Thanks for all the help from the members of this forum.  Now it’s time to get my hands dirty and make it ready to run like it was meant to be.  

Today is interior mold removal day.  If my wife sees that mold it’s game over, she’s push it out and set it ablaze!  Where is was stored had a serious mold issue and the interior has a light blanket of mold everywhere.  

I took these pics today.     

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

It’s cleaned up. Mold all gone. I replaced the clutch master today and bleed the system. If you don’t need a chiropractor you will after replacing that master. It was a nightmare getting under the dash to hook it up but this time I decided to unscrew the shaft from the bracket that connects to the pedal vs taking the pin out. I have no rear brakes but took it for a spin around the block anyway....watch out granny!!!!. Runs like crap.
Lots of work ahead. Tomorrow, I’m repacking the front bearings, installing new rotors, calipers and brake pads.
She doesn’t need my password just needs to unlock my phone and open Tapatalk. She has no interest though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Had to execute and emergency repair this AM. Last night while at my son Lacrosse practice my wife texts me that the master bedroom and bath smell like gasoline! [emoji15]

I knew right away It was the Z. I had just put 5 gallons of gas in it and it had to be a leak somewhere. I blamed it on the pressure washer which I had been using that day and uses gasoline. So today I got up and pull the car out and replaced the two fuel lines coming off the tank (return and one to pump) I also replaced the online filter. They didn’t have the cheap one so I opened for a different one? After putting double clamps on two of the line I saw a tiny bit of fuel dripping from the bottom of the tank. It was coming from where the return line pipe exits the tank. The weld was broken/rusted. I had little options and drained the tank all the way and then put JB weld around both pipes that exit the tank. We’ll see what happens tonight!!! Looks good for now, not pretty but it’s a gas tank. I had this tank totally restored a couple years ago and this must have already has a pin hole at the exit pipe.

c77a86e4b75eac8540831a145bd806f1.jpg
0234e461a93e8c931a47b1e9ad828329.jpg

• Like 1

Cliff, you have a great memory. That Memphis incident was due to me running out of time. I was working on installing the replacement fuel pump. I didn’t have time to finish so I capped off the fuel lines with a bolt. Over the course of a few days pressure built up in the tank due to normal expansion from temp changes and that allowed fuel to slip past the bold. It was a bad leak that time. Probably upwards of 1/2 gallon.
My roommates were very unhappy, and it also put a nice stain on the owner’s Epoxy floor. You really have a good memory, they forgot but you haven’t!
A pilot light in the garage would be a bad idea with a fuel leak like that one.

I checked my repair last night before going to bed and the tank was dry and the JB weld rock solid. I think I’m in the clear.

• Thanks 1