IGNORED

Bringing a 1977 Z back life

Av8ferg

Okay, got in late last night and went ahead and worked on adjusting he can timing.  I ended up rotating the cam sprocket back to position 1.  It was a bit of a challenge but I think it’s right now.  Here are the photos of the adjustment.  Also when I puked the oil spray bar it appears to be gunked up .  

99B0ED8E-8A56-41C4-B3F1-16EF2D06EF5F.jpeg

4BB28805-CE9A-4532-BAA9-DD5AE43FFE12.jpeg

H

ZH, I agree it’s not as visible.  I looked at the scratches and markings around the groove and compared them in relation to the groove in both pics it apprears to be right on.  

So the new oil pump is primed and installed.  The tang for the the dizzy looks perfect to me now.  What do you think?

5C6BD2CD-E4E6-48B9-8CA7-BD70030C9E1A.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks right to me. 

The timing chain sprocket probably just has some casting variation.  It's obviously not a super-balanced precision machined part.

Things look right.  If you wanted to be very accurate you could build or buy a piston stop, and verify TDC.  I built one from an old spark plug.  On the other hand, if you're pretty pretty pretty sure that the piston is at the top and the damper notch is right, it might not be worth the effort.

I'd take a good look at all of your cam lobes and rocker arms, wiggle them, check lash if you can.  While you have the cover off.  You might have seen Neb's cam lobes.  It's well-known for the valves to be so sticky after an engine sits for a long time that they hang and a lash pad pops out.  People find them laying in the oil puddles up there after a run up through the RPM.

Thanks.  I’m going to buy fresh oil because the stuff I put in 6 weeks ago is already dark black just from cranking.  I found hardened gunk in some of the flat areas of the the head.  I’m going to clean them the best I can. The oil rail is clogged up.  I’m off to Lowe’s to buy some PVC and thinner to let the puppy sit over night.  Also I’m not seeing those tiny holes in my cam for oiling.  I was thinking of putting some cam line to put on the lobes so it’s not cranking dry.   

Edited by Av8ferg
Spelling error