IGNORED

Stronger Lift Pad Locations To Prevent Frame Rail Damage

Captain Obvious

I have to get my 77 inspected by the state annually, and whenever it goes up on the lift, the underside takes some damage. It's not all crushed in bad like many Z's out there (yet), but I would really like to prevent future damage if I can. Even the FSM indicates the use of the front frame rails on the floors as the "proper" lift point, but they clearly are not up to the task. They simply cannot take the load.

So is there a different support option that is stronger than the frame rails? Is there a tested modification that can be made to prevent future damage?

Is there some sort of option or product that can be installed to provide better or stronger lift points? Like welded in flat pads designed to be used as lift points?

I've got about six months to come up with something before it has to go on the lift again.

38 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I have to get my 77 inspected by the state annually, and whenever it goes up on the lift, the underside takes some damage. It's not all crushed in bad like many Z's out there (yet), but I would really like to prevent future damage if I can. Even the FSM indicates the use of the front frame rails on the floors as the "proper" lift point, but they clearly are not up to the task. They simply cannot take the load.

So is there a different support option that is stronger than the frame rails? Is there a tested modification that can be made to prevent future damage?

Is there some sort of option or product that can be installed to provide better or stronger lift points? Like welded in flat pads designed to be used as lift points?

I've got about six months to come up with something before it has to go on the lift again.

at the front, engine cross member? Rear - Diff mounts?

Edited by Jason240z

3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Somebody out there, maybe gnosez, used to sell a weld-on plate for that purpose.  @gnosez

I've thought about making a sort-of clip-on rail protector for use in the garage.  Of course, it would be just a simple load distributor, but I'll bet you could work one up that might even fit in the tool boxes behind the seats.  Pop them out whenever needed.  3/16" steel or aluminum would probably be sufficient.

You could also just hand the guy at the shop four pieces of wood and ask him to put them on the lift pad.

Thanks for the input guys.

I made a set of wood blocks and told the guy who does my inspections that I would like him to use them, but I'm not sure he does. He doesn't like them and he thinks I'm being a neurotic worrywart about the car. It also takes extra time to get the wood blocks out and install on the car. Time is money, and he's a professional. I can take all the time I want in my own shop, but he's on the clock. Plus, if anything ever happened, it's a liability issue. Were these wood blocks OSHA approved? But before any of you suggest "Well then you just need to find another shop!", there are good points to the relationship I've fostered there and I would hate to see that relationship go away.

@gnosez, Here's a pic of your second gen jack plates, but I'm not sure how they would be installed. Do you have a pic (from the underside) of these installed on a car:
jackplates.jpg

Also, other than cost, is there any reason these couldn't be applied in two locations on each side for use with a typical garage lift? By that, I mean, instead of being single point jack points, is it practical to do something like that in four locations to pick up the four arms from a lift?

Also, what about years compatibility? I know much of the unseen sheet metal on the 77 and 78 cars is different than everything that came before. Have you tried these on the final years of first gen Z's?