IGNORED

OK to get the S30 wet?

wil84911

In Utah, all through the greater Salt Lake City area, they use a ton of salt in the winter. It took 20 years for my 1973 240z daily driver to rust to the point it probably was structurally impaired. My current 1971 240z hasn't seen a salted road since I got it in 1991 and very little from the original owner who had it in SoCal for most of its life before 1991. 

You know?  An old salt like me is always thinking outside the box when answering a question like this.  Or perhaps thinking ABOUT the box.  My answer is no, drive her hard but NEVER put her to bed wet.  Wet while driving is preferred sometimes.  Kinda gives you that "all lubed up" sort of feeling.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

You know?  An old salt like me is always thinking outside the box when answering a question like this.  Or perhaps thinking ABOUT the box.  My answer is no, drive her hard but NEVER put her to bed wet.  Wet while driving is preferred sometimes.  Kinda gives you that "all lubed up" sort of feeling.

I think I just got wet reading this!

And don't forget those nice little folded welds that act as dirt shelves inside the front fenders.  The cowl drains dump water right on those. Its a great way to hold moisture.  But like others have said, drive it in the salt once and you will be able to watch it rust away.  I had one of these as a daily driver back in '79 in northern Indiana. After 6 just Indiana winters, it should have gone to the scrap yard.  I sure wish I had it now.  It would have made a great parts car.

• Like 1

Have had my 1/1970 240Z 9 years, drove it by necessity in a heavy rain once, and twice in light mist conditions.  Lately it is being driven as a DD.  If it is raining I take a different car.  It is very rust free, love this thing.  It is always kept under a roof. 

• Like 1