IGNORED

Build Thread - New Turbo-Swapped 280z from WA

AlbatrossCafe

On 11/20/2017 at 3:25 PM, AlbatrossCafe said:

haha yup... After getting a good look around the engine bay during this install, I'm beginning to realize how simple these engines actually are. Other than some parts being hard to reach, there is not much you can mess up.

SIMPLICITY..............My friend is the beauty of these machines even after you add tons of performance!

• 2 months later...

Welp... I wish I could edit my original post haha. I thought I would be able to. Oh well.

After receiving word that my Stance coilovers were coming in the mail (after THREE AND A HALF MONTHS) I finally got started removing the old suspension to replace with TTT control arms and tension rods. Had a local guy offer up his generosity and help me remove the fronts Saturday and tackled the rear myself Sunday.

A little dirty, but a pretty easy car to work with. Until you get to the spindle pins of course... :cool:

Here are some pics:

guad7x5.jpg?1w5LjT3V.jpg?1byqhXCB.jpg?1

At this point, everything on the suspension had come out very easily, so I was hoping I wouldn't have trouble with these pins. After they didn't easily break loose with a BFH, I tried the ol' washer trick:

CWUxEJG.jpg?1

On one side, I broke the end of the pin off (after probably cranking that tiny 14mm nut with 160lbs of torque):

ML9g9FH.jpg?1

On the other side, I destroyed the threads:

imNCUay.jpg?1

After that I said "f*** it" and decided I'll take it to a shop with a press to get them out. Not worth my time LOL

The guy that helped me had a 280z with full custom exhaust, intercooler, megasquirt, electronic boost controller, 225mm tires, etc. It was great to see a Z built up in person rather than just oggling over them on the internet. It was a good preview for some of the mods I want to do.

cqdWsJc.jpg?1

N9XixNA.jpg?1

Also, I test-fit my new wheels (tires still not here yet - going on 2.5 months) to see how they would look with my color. XXR 527s in black chrome:

s7Fug4u.jpg?1

FINALLY got my Stance coilovers from Sakura Garage in the mail. After an original ETA of 2-3 weeks, they showed after 3.5 months BUT turned out to have the wrong adapter sleeve (2" for the 240z as opposed to 2 1/8" for the 280z) so I have to send the sleeves back to get re-machined. This is a can o' worms that I don't really feel like typing out, but I'll shorten it up and say that it has been nothing but a huge hassle so far.

At least the coilover quality looks very good. I can't wait to get them installed!

Ij92Au8.jpg?1Fu0fbUj.jpg?1

Have to send these back to get machined out! >:(

GR0fHE7.jpg?1

Side note - anyone know what these are? There were 4 in the box:

KRLUJ0i.jpg?1YzawcDV.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...

After spending no more than 20 minutes trying to break out the spindle pins, I said "forget it" and took it to a shop. They pressed em out in a big Hydraulic press. Said it took them about an hour. If I tried to break them out in my garage, I'm guessing that time would have been closer to 8 or 9.

There is something nice about just ponying up and paying someone (in this case, I paid $120) to do something terrible for you.

Next step is to loosely put the struts back on and get some measurements (I forgot to do this before disassembling everything) so I know where to cut for coilovers.

ur7OgR1.jpg?1

I have a spare set of strut bodies I had taken from a junk car. I was going to build up a set of coilovers while keeping my stock struts as is. One of the pins came out with a little heat and persuasion. The other one we got cherry red and still no movement. I’m thinking this car I got these from may have been under water. Stuck like chuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

On 11/6/2017 at 3:04 PM, Dave WM said:

I have heard (for what that is worth) that running synt oils in old cars that have used dino oil can sometimes effect seals. Could just be internet lore..

for what its worth I run Valvoline VR-1 racing oil.

CASTROL 20W50 here. Never was much for additives and synthetics!

On 2/5/2018 at 11:43 AM, AlbatrossCafe said:

Welp... I wish I could edit my original post haha. I thought I would be able to. Oh well.

After receiving word that my Stance coilovers were coming in the mail (after THREE AND A HALF MONTHS) I finally got started removing the old suspension to replace with TTT control arms and tension rods. Had a local guy offer up his generosity and help me remove the fronts Saturday and tackled the rear myself Sunday.

A little dirty, but a pretty easy car to work with. Until you get to the spindle pins of course... :cool:

Here are some pics:

guad7x5.jpg?1w5LjT3V.jpg?1byqhXCB.jpg?1

At this point, everything on the suspension had come out very easily, so I was hoping I wouldn't have trouble with these pins. After they didn't easily break loose with a BFH, I tried the ol' washer trick:

CWUxEJG.jpg?1

On one side, I broke the end of the pin off (after probably cranking that tiny 14mm nut with 160lbs of torque):

ML9g9FH.jpg?1

On the other side, I destroyed the threads:

imNCUay.jpg?1

After that I said "f*** it" and decided I'll take it to a shop with a press to get them out. Not worth my time LOL

The guy that helped me had a 280z with full custom exhaust, intercooler, megasquirt, electronic boost controller, 225mm tires, etc. It was great to see a Z built up in person rather than just oggling over them on the internet. It was a good preview for some of the mods I want to do.

cqdWsJc.jpg?1

N9XixNA.jpg?1

Also, I test-fit my new wheels (tires still not here yet - going on 2.5 months) to see how they would look with my color. XXR 527s in black chrome:

s7Fug4u.jpg?1

I know it is a bit late but ZCar Depot sells a spindle removal tool for $80. A good investment, it pays fpr itself with one use. Two new spindes cost about the same amount. I almost had to learn this same difficult lesson some years ago. Fortunately for me a tap cleaned the slight mushroomng that occurred. Many tools have been developed over the years to make servicing easier. To everyone please do your research before costing yourself an extra expense. Nice rig BTW!

On 2/17/2018 at 12:26 PM, esmit208 said:

I know it is a bit late but ZCar Depot sells a spindle removal tool for $80. A good investment, it pays fpr itself with one use. Two new spindes cost about the same amount. I almost had to learn this same difficult lesson some years ago. Fortunately for me a tap cleaned the slight mushroomng that occurred. Many tools have been developed over the years to make servicing easier. To everyone please do your research before costing yourself an extra expense. Nice rig BTW!

That tool is OK for removing pins that are not really "seized in place". In that case just a stack of washers will get the pin moving.   Otherwise you need heat and a press.