IGNORED

Obsolete HTF Parts for Prototyping

ramsesosirus

My workplace, Metro Community College in Omaha, NE, has just finished the largest ever community college project in America: $100,000,000 project.  One of the 4 new buildings is based on technology and prototype design.

I've already asked the coordinator about what types of things we can do with it.  We just received and installed:  a CNC 5 axis milling machine (which can make engine blocks I hear), several plasma cutters, several laser cutters, grinders, welders, 3D printers, lathes, manual millers, a paint oven, and some things I don't even know what.  There's a robot that walks around and does things you tell it to (within reason).  Also a 3D scanner than scans the object into a model, so it can be recreated.

If we could compile a list of hard to find or nearly obsolete parts for the series 1 Z, I'd be willing to try to make some of these parts.

SO FAR, things I know about are:

Brake shims (simple metal plate)

280z electrical connectors

Please submit your parts!  I'd need either a "sample" (which I would return to you) or detailed measurements/pictures/etc... 

The potential that this building has is amazing.  Coupled with my engineering degree and my Z love, I think we could create some cool stuff.  

Also, I'm not the best at knowing what is needed to make stuff, so please advise if you are familiar with this type of equipment and what it can do.  

Here's a few photos of stuff we have now:

hurco 5.jpg

hurco lathe.jpg

plasma.jpg

shopbot.jpg

Edited by ramsesosirus
pics

I guess my question is what would you do with the design files (or whatever they are called) and the items generated by the prototype machines? If you create files that can be used to control a simple 3-d printer for example, would you offer to "print" the item for the Z community for the cost of material, for a fee that included the material and a profit (assuming the college permits commercial use of their equipment), or to sell or give the control files away to the Z community for their use on their personal 3d printers?

I'm not saying that this is not a good idea, there's a video out of Jay Leno using a 3-d scanner and printer to create parts for his stable of cars and there are currently very few 3d printer files out there for Z parts. I'm just wondering what is the best way of using these resources.

Jeff

Good point.  I guess I'm still determining what the best method is.  I'm sure the college wouldn't allow me to use the equipment for commercial use.  I'm not really thinking of this as a profit maker for me.  I suppose they would become files that we could use on our own.  

At the same time, I wouldn't want to put in a lot of work, only to have someone (or some other company) take advantage.

I have good intentions, still in the "idea" phase.

Thanks

42 minutes ago, w3wilkes said:

What about hoses? There are some fuel tank vent hoses that are no longer available.

I replaced all of mine and new clamps from O'Reilly auto parts. Had to use two 3/4" PEX 90s for the 180 bend at the top of he tank and a 1/2" elbow where the smallest vent goes into the tank above the sending unit.

I'll try and find the thread and post it tomorrow. 

Cost $65.

Edited by siteunseen

This morning, I was watching Season 25, Episode 9 of "How it's Made":

Armored Vehicles
Tension Fabric Buildings
Rowers
Sculpture Enlargements

The last one... sculpture enlargements. They started with a small artist created sculpture (of a dog). They sent the small sculpture to a company that 3D computer scans it, and then blows up the size, and CNC router carves a larger version out of polystyrene foam.

You got the scanner, and you got the CNC. How bout scanning and carving replacement dash foam pads? You don't have to enlarge it. You could create a 1:1 copy.

I found that episode on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwNfx-YDzHc

3D scans without a ton of refinement are best suited for organic type items. Any item that needs to meet size criteria like an electrical plug is probably not a good choice. Traditional reverse engineering techniques would be better suited. The only time I go from scan to part is when it is something like an ornamental leaf or a reproduction part that needs to have all the detail and mistakes. With a scan you are working with meshes. Even though printed parts are from meshes they are generally a solid model that has been meshed as the final step. Scanning is very handy for reverse engineering though. I'll often scan something and import it into my solids modeling program. I then start building a solid model around the mesh.

In my opinion the foam that dashes use is ill suited for CNC machining. Too soft. You would want to scan the dash, create a solid model. Use that model to make an injection mold for the foam.

Nice equipment for sure but if you can't solid model and CAM then they are paperweights. It is great to see that they are making the investment in this kind of stuff. The best advice I always give is learn to solid model. Fusion 360 is free and powerful. They probably have post processors for all that equipment. The list of equipment sounds like Tony Starks workshop:)

Derek

• Like 1