IGNORED

Starting problem

SeKcGamer

Yes the tank is out, I wanted to take it down to be able to get a better look. Now I guess I'll have to do the Jerry can test I believe. But I don't know which lines I should use. I'm also going to work which is another thing that takes away time from me and the car. You guys tell me what to do, i like visuals to see what I'm supposed to do. I guess thats just how I am.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Classic Zcar Club mobile

not sure what you are showing. but you have to have good gravity flow of fuel at least to the fuel pump. Make sure you have gas in the tank, disconnect the fuel line at the inlet to the pump, hold it down and gas should flow big time. Agree too many filters, a single G3 is more than enough. you should be able to hold it down and have gas flow out, if not the line is plugged or the tank does not have enough gas in it. put at least 5 gallons in right now.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SeKcGamer said:

Yes the tank is out, I wanted to take it down to be able to get a better look. Now I guess I'll have to do the Jerry can test I believe. But I don't know which lines I should use. I'm also going to work which is another thing that takes away time from me and the car. You guys tell me what to do, i like visuals to see what I'm supposed to do. I guess thats just how I am.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Classic Zcar Club mobile

You didn't need to drop the tank yet. You just needed to disconnect the wires from the new fuel pump and run it set up the way it was using an extra battery to run the fuel pump.

If you wanted to run it out of a gas can it would have been much easier at the front of the engine. 

The larger line is the supply line and the smaller is return. That's all there is to it. 

Edited by JSM

and for gosh sake get fuel injector style hose clamps, I hope you are using fuel injector rated hose. Make sure you look closely for fuel leaks, there are a lot of places for that to happen. I see you have hose clamps on the vacuum line to the fuel regulator, that should not be required if you are using the correct vacuum line. You need to stop with the descriptions and start with all the test that have been described. One real quick test would be to dead head the pump.

Disconnect the starter solenoid wire, clamp of the return line, turn the key to start, only do this for a couple seconds as the pressure will build very fast, if you have an after market pump you may see upwards of 90psi. this will quickly determine if the pump and tank are able to supply high pressures.

The reason you want to only do this for a couple seconds is its very hard on the fuel hoses and connections (clamps). If you did NOT use fuel injector rated hose you will likely burst something from the pressure (non FI rated is about 50psi).

those worm gear clamps have a way of eating into the hose. I good supply of FI clamps is at the local junkyard, just go to the import section and look around, tons of them and top quality, not the junk sold in the auto parts stores.

• Like 1

So do you guys want me to put the tank back on, but take off the fuel filters that are currently on?. Can I not do the jerry can test from the rear?. I also wanted to know that if I were to disconnect the small filter on the top how could I connect the two hoses togetherIMG_2907.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Classic Zcar Club mobile

8 minutes ago, SeKcGamer said:

Can I not do the jerry can test from the rear?. I also wanted to know that if I were to disconnect the small filter on the top how could I connect the two hoses together

Yes you can.  That would be one side of the break-it-down equation.  Put a can of fuel back there with both the return and supply hoses in it.

Use a longer piece of hose.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SeKcGamer said:

So do you guys want me to put the tank back on, but take off the fuel filters that are currently on?. Can I not do the jerry can test from the rear?. I also wanted to know that if I were to disconnect the small filter on the top how could I connect the two hoses togetherIMG_2907.JPG

I'm pretty sure that line is for the evap fume line to charcoal canister. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with you issues. 

You probably need to check the service manual to see if that is supposed to be there or not. 

Honestly, since the tank is out, take a 5 gallon plastic tank fill 5 Gallons of gas in your tank now that it is out of the car. Use your old fuel pump with a battery hardwired to the pump to pump it back into the empty 5 gallon plastic jug. Slosh the tank a little to simulate driving. Listen for any pump noise change or slowing flow. 

Have a fire extinguisher close by just in case. Do this outside not in the garage. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SeKcGamer said:

I maybe wrong here but that line with the dry filter looks like it goes to the carbon canister from the vapor  tank by the filler nozzle. not sure why anyone would filter that.

oops JSM beat me too it.

Edited by Dave WM
I type slow, JSR is faster.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave WM said:

I maybe wrong here but that line with the dry filter looks like it goes to the carbon canister from the vapor  tank by the filler nozzle. not sure why anyone would filter that.

Yep what I was thinking too. 

Prob would not hurt to check to see if that line is plug, mine was. IIRC I would get a pressure build up in there with the plugged line. Agree it would not effect operation. I think I had some odd fuel filling problems or something, really cant recall. Its on my to do list (nothing worked to clear the hose).