IGNORED

To buy or not to buy...that is the question

motorman7

Well, It looks like we are good for me to pick up this Z.  I will need to contact the owner and work out arrangements....aahhh the concessions.  She said that I should see if i can put a deposit down on the car and pick it up in a couple months when we have more room.  If not, I will have to see about working out a storage location with Montezuma.  And she want some house upgrades done as well....concessions,

So, I have to be completely honest here.  The love of my wife's life is her 1 year old grand nephew.  We are not grandparents ...yet...so I guess she is practicing with the grand nephew.  She asked about putting together our kids old hobby horse which had been stored for years, in pieces, up in the garage rafters.  She wants to give it to her grand nephew for his first birthday.  So instead of doing car stuff on Sunday, I surprised her with the completely restored hobby horse.  I even put clear plastic over the springs to prevent finger pinch.  Anyway, she was just thrilled to death about this.  I figured this was necessary to make sure she was in a very good mood.  I showed her pics of the car this AM and she really liked it.  So, very happy with all this.  I will try and work out some time where we can drive out to the sellers place in the roadster and see the car.  Maybe next weekend.  Will keep things updated as it progresses here.  .

DSC_0559.JPG

• Like 3

White / Red drool.  Man, I think you should buy these little gems and resell to us folks on the East coast. 

Tell her your working on your retirement nest egg. Granted, they are bigger than gold krugerrands, but just as valuable!

Edited by JSM
  • Like 1

So this has all worked out very well so far.  Drove to the sellers home with my wife in the roadster.  It was a beautiful cool sunny morning and the drive through Rancho Santa Fe and Fairbanks Ranch was absolutely perfect.  We spoke with the seller and his wife for about 30 minutes and I left a $1000 deposit for the car.  I told him that I would pick the car up in a month or two as I currently have no time or space and he said that was fine.   I did check on the front windshield glass and it is the original Nissan stamped windshield in excellent condition.  So, very happy with all of the original parts and especially the interior. The original motor is even sporting some of the original braided hoses.  Any, will post pics later. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's a bit late here and the day was super busy, so no pics today.  I will try and post some tomorrow.  

I did make the final payment of $5500 (so $6500 total for the car) to the owner today and picked up the car and most of the disassembled parts.  I will have to make another trip to the PO's house to pick up the rest of the stuff some other day.   So far, I am pretty happy with what I have bought..  In addition to the original radio and very nice interior (which looks bad in the pics above but great in person), I noticed that the car is also sporting the original spare (I think).  Will post pics of that tomorrow.  

As I was sorting parts into storage bins, I noted the following items:  A second steering wheel with new horn pad, two more sets of of 3 screw SU carbs (originals are on the motor), another new choke cable, a reconditioned clock that said 'working quartz' on the bag, all of the original jute in good condition with original carpeting, plus a brand new set of carpeting, a complete precision weather strip kit, 2 grills,  bolts and screw in clearly marked bag indicating what area they were from, a number of boxed NOS interior parts among other things.  So, looks like I have a lot of stuff to work with here.....when I get time to work on it

As I was filling out paperwork with the PO, I guessed that the mileage was probably 165K given the 65K speedo indication.  The PO, who is the second owner, said it is probably 65K.  He said the original owner was a doctor in Nevada that did not drive the car that much as he was older and it was difficult for him to drive.  He died and the car sat for quite some time until the doctors son eventually sold it.  The PO bought it from the doctors son, drove it for a short while then started his 'restoraton' which didn't get very far.  Again the car sat for years, until I picked it up.  So, it could be just a 65K car.  I guess I will probably know better when I open up the motor.  

Anyway, will try and post some pics tomorrow.

Rich

• Like 2

Here are some pics of the new '72.  I boxed up most of the parts and took them to the storage garage.  I still have things that I need to pick up from the PO like fenders, hood, bumpers, 5 speed trans, brake lines, etc.  This will have to sit for a bit while I finish other cars but I may dink on it here and there.  Oh yes, and it came with the car cover, nice.

DSCF4828.JPG

DSCF4829.JPG

DSCF4830.JPG

DSCF4833.JPG

DSCF4835.JPG

DSCF4836.JPG

DSCF4837.JPG

DSCF4839.JPG

DSCF4842.JPG

DSCF4843.JPG

DSCF4844.JPG

DSCF4846.JPG