IGNORED

Test report of "HLS30Q (Z Europe model) countermeasures High speed stability "

kats

On 4/10/2017 at 1:22 PM, HS30-H said:

Kats,

I have an original set of prints from that sequence, and they came from Datsun Netherlands. Clearly a canal/kanaal in the background too.

Dutch and Portuguese licence plates look very similar.

These are Dutch  license plates of that period of time. A friend of mine has the letter fromRob Jansen to Nissan Japan about the stability.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

It may be a bit off topic, but on the note of "European versions" i just got this March 1977 Datsun dealer price list from Datsun switzerland, which includes prices for the 260Z (incl. 2+2) and others:
there is no currency, but i highly assume that it's swiss francs (CHF). I'm currently in touch with a few old nissan / Datsun dealerships and trying to obtain more 240Z specific documents and promotional material. allthoug most of it has been scrapped over the years.
2020-12-08-17_35_35-Window-Kopie.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I Just found an old article from Automobilrevue May 1972, where they tested the "final version" 240Z.
Here seen with swiss (Zürich) number plates and all the spoilers, only one mirror, etc. I guess it was one of the first imported ones, used as a press and show-car from datsun switzerland.
You can also see it has the hatch without vents.
the original article from 1972 can be found in the historic database on zwischengas.ch and it has been re-released in the Automobilrevue issue March 2020 with these better pictures.
The article is full of praise about the car from japan and they thoroughly tested it with lots of data (various acceleration tests etc) listed in the original article.
Pictures with permission from Automobilrevue switzerland.
Original article can be purchased here (5. March 2020 issue): https://automobilrevue.ch/epaper/
AR-1972-2020-240Z-Kopie.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Can anybody tell me something about this car or where it was shown?? I found it in an Car related archive.
All information was that ithe picture shows a Datsun 240Z from 1971.

It looks like it was displayed at a booth at some car show, but honestly i have no clue where or when exactly.

To me it looks like a prototype car or something similar. I don't think this weird combination of parts ever made it into production
- It appears to be an early Euro spec car (LHD, no rear side markers, but additional blinkers in the front grille)
- No "Euro" front spoiler
- Fender mirrors
- Additional Lights (Blinkers?) on top of the Fenders (i think i've only seen a picture of those once, before)
- The "Datsun" sign in the back is a hint that it was shown at an export market show and not in Japan.

Strange-specs-.jpg

Picture © www.zwischengas.com (All Automobil-Revue Catalogues can be checked out online on zwischengas.com)

Edited by JDMjunkies.ch
  • Like 2

Here is another three Z's with the blanked under bumper turn indicators (and bumper mounted ones)  like the one above:

First two are in France, 3rd in Germany.

Bonus is a prototype in Japan (possibly a HP Prince I6? Interesting exhaust pipes 🙂 )

Mondial de l'Automobile 2010, Paris - France (5058929956).jpg

10171220.jpg

Datsun 260Z am Strassenrand.jpg

roll over 2.jpg

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1

@240260280: Maybe my post was a bit misleading. The blanked frond lower corner valances and the Top blinkers are not the question here - these were normal on european 240Z's and both my cars came with a similar setup.
I think the reason was that european cars had to have a minimum  mounting height of blinkers and those that where standard equipment for the non-european markets where too low - so they came up with this solution.

The big questions regarding my pictures are:
- The car shows an european spec car, but with fender mirrors. and it appears to be some kind of an official show car - which is strange. european cars never had the fender mirrors
- The car has some weird fender-top mount blinkers or indicators which never made it on any production cars as far as i know

So the overall question is what this special (prototype?) car was about and when / where it was shown in the picture?

• Like 2

Here is a 240z in Brussels in Jan 1970.  It shows up again in London in October.

It has the fender mirrors and only 2 side markers.

brussels 1970 White.jpg

Here is 240z in Geneva in March 1970. No fender mirror and 4 side markers.

240z Geneva March 1970.jpg

Here is the same as the Brussels one above.

240z Earls Court Oct 1970.jpg

This one is in Amsterdam in 1971 with rear spoiler and probably just 2 side markers. It would be nice to see what is going on with the fenders. It looks a lot like your photo and is the same year and continent  🙂

Note it has no rear bumperettes and the rubber wraps all the way around as @kats mentioned a while ago when we looked in detail at an early prototype.

I'll Hover around and see what I find.

Amsterdam Z.JPG

• Like 1