IGNORED

Replacing exhaust system on my 72 240z from the manifold to the back

jalexquijano

Dr. Googles says "Mufflers deal with temperatures that range between 300 and 500 degrees fhreneheit. Due to the intensity of heat produced by an engine's emission system, most exhaust systems are built to handle an excess of 1,200 degrees.  In addition, Gasoline exhaust gases burn in the range of 1,000 to 1,400 degrees Fahrenheit."

On ‎04‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:30 AM, Jarvo2 said:

The air galley is the device that the smog pump pushes fresh air into the exhaust manifold with.  Most of them are leaking or damaged by now.

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

Well i found out yesterday while taking the car to a muffler shop and placing a garden hose in the manifold to downpipe área, there was a some hiss present (exhaust leak). Luckily i just received a pair of manifold to downpipe gaskets and would like you advice on which one to use and what steps to acomplish to seal this área properly i.e. clean both surfaces, the manifold entry and the downpipe, place the gasket and drop some permatex ultra copper sealant to seal it more tight? the Permatex mufller & Tailpipe sealer advertises to withstand 2000 °F. I forgot to mention that the shop that installed the MSA PREMIUM EXHAUST system, couldnt remove the nuts with the corresponding wrench and hence had to use the soldering gun to heat the manifold área in order to remove the stock downpipe.

gaskets downpipe.jpg

permatex ultra copper.jpg

perma muffler.jpg

perma rtv.jpg

Edited by jalexquijano

I have a stock exhaust manifold that I had ceramic coated and I have used the metal gasket in your photos for years with good success. My stock down pipe extended above the flange and fits into the manifold. Make sure these aren't broken. I have always retighted the three bolts after heat cycled the motor several times

Good luck

Ps never needed the gasket maker

Don's iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

3 hours ago, 7tooZ said:

I have a stock exhaust manifold that I had ceramic coated and I have used the metal gasket in your photos for years with good success. My stock down pipe extended above the flange and fits into the manifold. Make sure these aren't broken. I have always retighted the three bolts after heat cycled the motor several times

Good luck

Ps never needed the gasket maker

Don's iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

the studs or the bolts? which ones should not be broken? Asides from installing the metal nissan gasket which of the aformentioned permatex sealants should i use?

Edited by jalexquijano