IGNORED

Somethings wrong...

Redwing

There's a "pre-muffler" that looks like a converter.  It's there to cancel out droning from the exhaust system.  Looks like a converter but it's not.  There should be a sticker.

A clogged muffler would be like a clogged converter though.  So maybe...

And if it is still the original CAT there should be a heat shield over it. If you have that then more than likely you have one. I know for a fact that a rich running Z wil,l over a short period of time, destroy a cat. Ask me how I know. Iv'e gone through 2 in the last 7 years.

Edited by rcb280z

So if it won't start now, have you checked for spark and fuel?  If a fuel pump fails, it could go slowly like your describing.  Check the very basics first. 

Sorry to ask, but your gas gauge works and you do have fuel in the car?  My wife called me one day after I had just replaced the battery and says it won't start. I get there and she has a business card over the gas gauge and the car was out.  I was not happy!

Edited by JSM

I don't think anything exhaust related. I have had a plugged muffler. Its not like these symtons.

Its another electrical/ignition issue or fuel pump issue I personally think.

Did you take a mirror underneath to look at the G3 filter that was installed.

You have only put less than 3000 miles on the car since it was repaired. Tune ups not necessary.

Finding issue - necessary.

On 1/29/2017 at 9:48 PM, Zed Head said:

There's a "pre-muffler" that looks like a converter.  It's there to cancel out droning from the exhaust system.  Looks like a converter but it's not.  There should be a sticker.

A clogged muffler would be like a clogged converter though.  So maybe...

RedBird started! My neighbor came over today and had a look at her. First off, asked me to try to start her. After that was a success, we pulled the plugs and I photoed them. We determined she does not have a catalytic converter, and the exhaust has plenty of flow exiting it. No chance it is plugged. He went under the gas tank and checked the G3 filter, and it was crystal clear, no debris or discoloration in it. Noted that the gas tank has a small leak. Not dripping to the ground, very slow. Apparently coming from the black hose nipple, or perhaps there is a pinhole leak. He heard the fuel pump working, but said it possibly could run slower as length of driving time run, if it is going bad, causing car to stop. I guess I'll start driving again now that she is running again, and if she stops and won't start, call the tow truck. We can look for more gremlins then.   BTW, there are no mice living  In the air filter.

I think that is all to report. I'll write again if I forgot something. The photos are following, spark plugs and under gas tank showing leak.

Please give me your opinions of what I have reported. All ideas are welcome.

Jai

20170130_180108_1485827251692.jpg

20170130_183503_1485827350551.jpg

20170130_183448.jpg

Edited by Redwing

Dude.  Jai's not a dude.

Those plugs are very fouled.  I'd install new plugs, take it for a good drive, make sure it gets nice and warmed up, then pull them and see how dirty they are.  Looks like it's running very rich though, unless you're burning oil.  Does it use much oil?  They really should never get that dirty unless there's a problem.  A short test run on new plugs will give you a good clue though.

tx is right about the leak.  At least you know it's hose-based.  Those are both low pressure hoses, one is 5/16" and I think that 3/8" works on the other.  The 5/16" is a good fit, the other is a bit tight, if I remember right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Dude.  Jai's not a dude.

Those plugs are very fouled.  I'd install new plugs, take it for a good drive, make sure it gets nice and warmed up, then pull them and see how dirty they are.  Looks like it's running very rich though, unless you're burning oil.  Does it use much oil?  They really should never get that dirty unless there's a problem.  A short test run on new plugs will give you a good clue though.

tx is right about the leak.  At least you know it's hose-based.  Those are both low pressure hoses, one is 5/16" and I think that 3/8" works on the other.  The 5/16" is a good fit, the other is a bit tight, if I remember right.

ZedHead,

Thank you for un-dudeing me.  Hahaha!    :D

Yes Redbird uses oil, with no dripping, nothing showing on any part of the engine.  My neighbor Michael, who went all over her yesterday looking for anything that might be amiss, could not see anything indicating oil loss.  His comment on her engine was "you should be proud of this engine, it is so clean".  Another :D:P.   And "for a 40 year old car, she is so great, and nice".  We all knew that tho, I feel so fortunate to have been blessed with this specific car.    :D:PROFL

Ok, next question is about the hoses on the gas tank.  How do they get replaced?  Is it a monumental job, please tell all.  

Thank you everyone, for looking out for me!

Jai

easy but messy. beside gas pouring all over you while you do it, sometimes the hoses can be hard and difficult to remove (leak yes remove not so easy).

Also its hard to get at them since the car is so low.

So best bet is let someone do it for you, the process is get the car jacked up at the rear, using whatever make you feel safe, and protect the car from clumsy jack points. After you get some working room, remove and discard those hose clamps, use a utilty knife to slice hose (not finger) lengthwise along the connection to the tank, this will allow the hose to be removed without undo stress to the tank. then new hoses, with good fuel clamp, I prefer the stock kind or fuel injector kind, any thing that does not chew into the hose.

Its not hard but for the access and mess. I have a new lines on hand and ready to install quickly to minimize the mess. Have some rags handy and a fire extinguisher near by.