IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

Rich.....Wow....facts of life....restoring a Datsun 240Z correctly is very, very expensive. The customer got a bargain, and I’m sure your labor costs charged were nowhere close to what time (and knowledge) went into the Resto. What the public doesn’t understand is that when a Z goes across the auction block, they sell (with a few exceptions) for less than has been invested. Two things stick out......start with a rust free, straight car (pay up for the right car), and pay up for the paint and body work. Your attention to detail is incredible! The engineer in you is apparent (Fluid Mech and Thermodynamics made me switch majors at Georgia Tech). These cars are so intoxicating......( everyone on this forum knows that). You certainly know that too.....You didn’t do this restoration for money, you did it because you are crazy about these cars......I am too!  Congrats to you and the customer who got a real bargain.

Guy

Thoughtful (as in, well thought out) summary.  Thanks for taking the time.  I keep reading innuendos on Bring-a-Trailer to the effect that certain collectors are paying $50K and up for early 'Condition 1' Z's, but it seems like these are restricted to low-mile, 'mint-in-box', original-paint cars.  Your results suggest that the best that most (sane) hobbyists can achieve is apparently going to be 'Condition 2', and the resulting vehicles don't seem to be bringing much more than $30K, making it a barely break-even proposition. 

Not that starting with a similar-vintage Alfa GTV would probably be much different -- other than adding 50% to all the numbers!

Thanks Rich for taking the time to do the project breakdown.  One question about the paint & body work,  how was Miguel paid for his service?  Was it in increments over the 5 months?  What paint did he use?

I too congratulate you and the customer on this great project resulting in a very beautiful car!

Rich,

Emotion---not logic.

Love---not money.

You've set a new standard, beyond the honorable Mr.Wick Humble. Your documentation of this restoration is Z reference material for all time.

Do the book.

We will buy it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, S30Driver said:

One question about the paint & body work,  how was Miguel paid for his service?  Was it in increments over the 5 months?  What paint did he use?

Hi Jim,

Paint was paid for in the same manner that I was.  Payment was in advance through Paypal.  Again,the customer was great with all this.  Miguel would let me know when payment was needed and I would let the customer know.  

I will double check, but pretty sure the paint was all PPG brand.

10.  Just for clarification on the paint and body work:  The thing that really shows the quality is the work that was done on the panel alignment and the creases and lines along the body and hood.  Too often the lines that form the hood bump and the side line (not sure the correct name for those) are smoothed over, rounded or uneven.  They typically lose their sharpness when taken to the average body shop.  Miguel was very careful with the lines which is what makes the panels look great.  They are sharp, even and straight, very nice!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, motorman7 said:

They typically lose their sharpness when taken to the average body shop.  Miguel was very careful with the lines which is what makes the panels look great.  They are sharp, even and straight, very nice!

Lot's of block work!

9 hours ago, motorman7 said:

Hi Jim,

.......snipped..cjb....

10.  Just for clarification on the paint and body work:  The thing that really shows the quality is the work that was done on the panel alignment and the creases and lines along the body and hood.  Too often the lines that form the hood bump and the side line (not sure the correct name for those) are smoothed over, rounded or uneven.  They typically lose their sharpness when taken to the average body shop.  Miguel was very careful with the lines which is what makes the panels look great.  They are sharp, even and straight, very nice!

From memory -that sharp side body line front to rear - was present on the Datsun 411, carried over to the 510 and then the Z.  The term "supersonic line" was used to describe it.  Can't remember if that term originated with Pininfarina on the Datsun 410 Bluebird or if that is simply what it was called inside Nissan Styling/Design studio.

I will definitely reference this thread while doing the 70. I hope to have the same arrangement of doing the car on someone else’s dime . I’ve done this before but not to this extent . The bar was set very high here. 

As far as paint - base coat with lots of clear coat looks amazing ,  but lots of layers can cause big chips. Color sanding or blocking out the clear - which was probably done here makes a huge difference . Many man hours of good ole elbow grease . All that clear really brightens the paint .