IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

5 hours ago, sweatybetty said:

mind sharing how you did the hood alignment? i cant get mine as nice as yours. its close but not that nice.

The process end up being a lot of tightening and loosening, shifting, etc.  I started with the cowl installation.  The cowl is pushed pretty firmly against the windshield frame.  Not sure why, but I had to push in that lower flange to install the screw.  That insured it was all the way against the windshield frame.

Next I put in the access panels. Initially they would not close with without contacting the cowl lip.   I pressed the cowl lip in gently with my thumbs until I could rotate the access panels nicely.  Then I had to adjust height and gap of access panel near cowl, while aligning straight edge with fender.  This just takes a bit of loosen, adjust tighten operations till the access panel edges are aligned to the cowl edge and fender edge.  If the gap on the curved side of the access panel is not aligned with fender, you may need a washer shim in between access panel flange and attach flange to straighten.  I also had to adjust the small tab on the fender so that forward part of panel was flat with fender.  Again, lightly press with thumb to get this just right.   After these items were evenly gapped, I put on the hood.  The drivers side bolts are in about the middle of the slot on mine and the passenger side is all the way to one end.  Again, it took several rounds of loosening, adjusting, tightening to get it to line up well.  Fortunately the slot length was sufficient, otherwise I think the only option is to rotate the hood hinge.  They do rotate and adjust a small amount.  Should be enough to align hood.

Hope that helps.

Rich

I got the Heat shield and Exhaust Manifold Air Warmer duct (not sure what the exact name is) cleaned and painted with high temp aluminum paint.  Also got the fuel tank straps cleaned and painted and the tank finished.  I should have the tank installed tomorrow.  Just a few pics below.

And I ran a half marathon this AM.  Finished in 1:52:05.  That is about 8:33 average per mile and my best ever half marathon time.  Not bad for a 56 year old man.

DSCF5726.JPG

DSCF5729.JPG

DSCF5735.JPG

14 hours ago, motorman7 said:

And I ran a half marathon this AM.  Finished in 1:52:05.  That is about 8:33 average per mile and my best ever half marathon time.  Not bad for a 56 year old man.

Good for you! I could run one mile at 8:33 or so but I would have to stop to throw up afterward.

On a side note I have a question you can probably answer. Is all the hardware on a stock SU yellow zinc? Dash pot screws, nozzle holder, all of it?

Thanks, Rich

and again congratulations on a good time for 13+ miles...:blink:

Yes, I am pretty sure all of the SU attach parts are yellow zinc.  The only silver or clear zinc parts on the Z are the door hardware, hatch bumpers and the wire clamps and coil holder of the '70 Z's.  There might be some others but the yellow zinc is definitely the dominant color.

Edited by motorman7

Got the new emblems in so I put those on.  Very pretty :love:.   The old ones were a pitted as you can see in the one pic.  They look nice with the fresh paint.  Cleaned up the tank straps and put the cleaned up rubber material on them.  Then installed the tank.  Nice to have that in. ( I really hate this camera.  It takes terrible flash pics.  Although, it could be the bad photographer.)

DSCF5738.JPG

DSCF5739.JPG

DSCF5746.JPG

DSCF5750.JPG

DSCF5753.JPG

DSCF5755.JPG

Edited by motorman7

OK, I know your tired of the engine pics, but I got the new spark plug wires in and wanted to show them.  Nissan wires are no longer available (several sights listed them but the orders were cancelled with product no longer available) , so I went with the premium Standard Motor Products wires because they were black, cut to correct length, and had the #6 plug with a slight angle.  That is about as close to the original as I could find.   I am not sure about the red cap on the coil, I do not think that is correct, but everything else is just about right.   I also put in the choke cable and alternator.  I will make the final connections after I replace the connectors.  I should have the engine bay about finished this weekend.  

DSCF5760.JPG

DSCF5761.JPG

DSCF5763.JPG

DSCF5765.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Rich---

Certainly NOT tired of the engine pics---beautiful work there!

Not to worry about the red coil wire boot----I 'm pretty sure it would be correct.

I purchased a NOS set of original Nissan plug wires years ago and it has the red boot.

As installed on my 73 before I returned to the original flat tops----IMG_4557.JPG

I love your work and uncompromising attention to detail Sir!

Your restoration of this car is reference material and the story should be moved by the Administrators  to a spot in the "Knowledge Base" for safe-keeping. @Mike