IGNORED

L28 Stroker Build - I need your advice :-)

german240

Today I weight matched a rocker arm set. Now all rockers are within 5g.

DSCN3249.JPG

This how I found out that I need 4mm lash pads - added a 1mm metal strip, wipe pattern was perfectly centered then:

DSCN3235.JPG

DSCN3242.JPG

Checked all valves with stock pad and stock pad+1mm

Rechecked it with the new lash pads (top quality - got them from precision shims australia)

DSCN3261.JPG

2017-11-20 17.01.12.jpg

Finally, I added a green line of permanent paint marker to each rocker - it will last for some hours of engine running and allows to easily check if everything is still working like it should

DSCN3264.JPG

Setting valve lash

DSCN3237.JPG

Finding true TDC

2017-11-25 10.50.21.jpg

Set a marking at the backside of the crank. That way I can easily check the accuracy of the ignition timing pointer!

DSCN3276.JPG

COMETIC multi layer steel gasket (2mm)

DSCN3267.JPG

280ZX Turbo head bolts, new OEM

DSCN3271 (2).JPG

Double checked conrod-crankcase clearance (had a bad feeling). 1mm (0.04"), pretty tight, but should work. I don't want to remove any more material as it weakens the main oil gallery (not sure about the wall thickness!)

DSCN3281.JPG

But now a real show stopper: I got the wrong timing chain. Ordered the right one, but received a different kit wit 44 instead of 42 links between the bright marks. So engine work is on hold until the new kit arrives (probably around mid december). For now I put the valve cover on.

DSCN3291.JPG

And worked on the steering wheel :)

Before: 

02202211.JPG

02202210.JPG

During refurbishment: 

DSCN3259.JPG

DSCN3286.JPG

After: 

DSCN3288.JPG

Looks much better than on the picture! Deep gloss, glass like finish :)

Edited by german240

16 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Looks great.  Nice detail touch.

What would you say the lash pads are in inches I guess, .150s, .175s, .190s?

I'm doing this soon and my cam kit came with .190s.  I'm worried how much I'll have to shave off for my .490 reground cam from Schneider.  Thanks, Cliff.

Eiji built my head with a Schneider .495 lift cam....he used .220 lash pads....centered perfect. .160’s should be about right for a .460 Cam. Trial and error, since the valve stem height can be different on machined heads depending on how much the seats are ground. Try the .190’s......might work. German240....I like the permanent green dye idea......

7 hours ago, Diseazd said:

Eiji built my head with a Schneider .495 lift cam....he used .220 lash pads....centered perfect. .160’s should be about right for a .460 Cam. Trial and error, since the valve stem height can be different on machined heads depending on how much the seats are ground. Try the .190’s......might work. German240....I like the permanent green dye idea......

Fingers crossed. :)

You have those P79s decked .030 so maybe, hopefully, for a change something might be easy.

.220 - .030 =.190  :Yes:

Guys, I need your advice again. I bought a remanufactured 1982 ZX distributor. As I was curios about the actual implemented advance curves I asked Cardone tech support. They replied: 

"Part # 31-619 Mechanical Advance is 6 to 12 degrees and the Vacuum Advance is 7 to 15 degrees."

What do you think? Someone here wrote a gread excel sheet, however, this setup is not listed. What do you think? To much? Too less?

Plus I really don't understand what they mean by "7 TO 15 deg".. is it 7 or 15 full vacuum advance?

:)

Edited by german240

You need to know if those numbers at the distributor or at the crankshaft.  And if those are a range of possible maximum advances or some other  type of number.  Overall, the information is not really worth much.  It's undefined.

It's easy to determine those two things, on the engine, though, with a timing light.  Best just install and check.

I was thinking the later zxs have the e12-93 electronic ignition?  They have two connections on the black box,  one on top and one on the side.  I think the second is for a sensor on the crank.

Can you use those on our cars or is it only the single connection e12-80?

Another thing, the vacuum advance weights have the weight stamped in them, mine are 8.5 I think, '79zx.  The way I was thinking is total advance at 2,500 or 3,000 rpm is double the weight number.  Mine is set @ 34 on total and 17 at idle if I remember right.  Mine likes the higher degree, i think it's maxed out on the adjustment plate. 

Just some memories from when I built my 2.4.