IGNORED

Selling my beloved Z. Where to start?

HaZmatt

Lets cut to the chase, you build as supremely beautiful car, and for that I stand at attention and salute you sir.  But now the time has come to market it and sell it. I watch BAT with daily regularity. A Z car just sold for 27k and it was not as nice as yours, but it was a 240Z, and inherently they get more money than a 280Z. So what to do. I like BAT, I think that when the planets align you get great results.  They have had a GLUT of POrsches lately and I see the early Z's taking off to follow them.  People who cannot catch the 911 bubble can catch a Z, and you get a better car to boot. :)  I say give BAT a try.

• Like 2

Not trying to start an argument, but really, the whole experience of selling the car should be considered.  The big auctions are kind of like parties or events that people attend.  Having a car for sale and seeing all of the other cars might be worth the fees, and expense of getting the car to the show.  Selling the car to an overseas buyer might be fun just for the challenge of getting it done.  

https://www.carbuyingtips.com/articles/blog/guide-to-the-barrett-jackson-auctions.htm

On the other hand you could go like a certain family member of mine who likes a transaction as hassle-free as possible.  A sign with a very low price in the windshield of the car, at the end of the driveway.  No phone calls, no traveling, the sale is final, no negotiating and no complaints because the price is so low.  People just stop in, pay the price and it's gone.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

@HaZmatt, I just wanted to let you know that you can have YOUR thread back.  The thread was locked due to it being hijacked but I just unlocked it so you can continue discussing the sale of your beautiful car. ;)

Mike

Thank you very much Mike, sorry it got out of hand so quickly. Also FWIW, it was never my intention to use this thread as a selling tool.

4 hours ago, Zedyone_kenobi said:

Lets cut to the chase, you build as supremely beautiful car, and for that I stand at attention and salute you sir.  But now the time has come to market it and sell it. I watch BAT with daily regularity. A Z car just sold for 27k and it was not as nice as yours, but it was a 240Z, and inherently they get more money than a 280Z. So what to do. I like BAT, I think that when the planets align you get great results.  They have had a GLUT of POrsches lately and I see the early Z's taking off to follow them.  People who cannot catch the 911 bubble can catch a Z, and you get a better car to boot. :)  I say give BAT a try.

Thank you sir. You bring up a good point with being a 280. It should be interesting to see what a fully restored 280 will go for compared to a 240. I guess we will see soon.

4 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Not trying to start an argument, but really, the whole experience of selling the car should be considered.  The big auctions are kind of like parties or events that people attend.  Having a car for sale and seeing all of the other cars might be worth the fees, and expense of getting the car to the show.  Selling the car to an overseas buyer might be fun just for the challenge of getting it done.  

https://www.carbuyingtips.com/articles/blog/guide-to-the-barrett-jackson-auctions.htm

On the other hand you could go like a certain family member of mine who likes a transaction as hassle-free as possible.  A sign with a very low price in the windshield of the car, at the end of the driveway.  No phone calls, no traveling, the sale is final, no negotiating and no complaints because the price is so low.  People just stop in, pay the price and it's gone.

Agreed. The amount of time and money of taking pictures, creating an ad, or trailering it to an auction is definitely a factor. It would be really nice to just throw a sign on it and sell it. You never know who will drive by and see it.

Thank you very much Mike, sorry it got out of hand so quickly. Also FWIW, it was never my intention to use this thread as a selling tool.

I'm not really sure what a selling tool is but you are welcome to post a real ad in our classifieds area. Look for the shopping forum. I also just updated datsunclassifieds.com to the latest software yesterday so you are also welcome to use it.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club

Did you sell your car?

It is fantastic....I am a old 911 Porsche guy but we bought my son a 240z and I love it. I want to build it into something like yours....he wants flares etc.....anyway...what wheel size and offset and brand and what tire size and brand are you running? The car is perfect.....and a good value at $25k.....

Thank you.

Eric

I agree that Bring a Trailer is a great venue to try, lots of serious buyers seem to be on the site.  Also agree that for a selling, raise the stance a bit, shoot some more pics and list it on BAT with the appropriate reserve.  You might also try Hemmings as another selling venue.

Edited by DougN

On 10/9/2016 at 11:56 PM, Parkstos said:

Did you sell your car?

It is fantastic....I am a old 911 Porsche guy but we bought my son a 240z and I love it. I want to build it into something like yours....he wants flares etc.....anyway...what wheel size and offset and brand and what tire size and brand are you running? The car is perfect.....and a good value at $25k.....

Thank you.

Eric

Not yet. I still need to do a few final things to make it ready to sell. I am running 15x8 Rota Rkr's with a 0 offset. Tires are Dunlop Direzza 205/55.

Thank you Grannyknot. I really appreciate it. As for the new businesss, I'll be doing what i've been doing for 20 years. Automotive window tinting, paint protection film, and detailing. Just going to be doing it on my own. Hopefully someday I will be able to do another restoration [emoji3]

Step 1: Leverage the car for business funding

Step 2: Make the car a rolling billboard for your company

Step 3: Continue to love and enjoy the car

Step 4: Open a branch office in Alberta

Problem solved; heart unbroken.

• Like 2