IGNORED

theft prevention

sweatybetty

i am seriously considering a line lock  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/huu-1745000/overview/ 

as a way to lock the rear brakes. if you put in a hidden switch and a small light on the dash,  someone gets in the car and tries to drive off, the first time they hit the brakes, the rear brakes lock up and wont release. i even thought that maybe on on the clutch line if it could stop the clutch pedal from being pushed.

what do you guys think? opinions please

thanks all   sb

I really think something like lojack is a better idea. We have to repossess cars sometimes and when we do they just pull up with a wrecker ,lift it and leave, 30 seconds max. I think many Z's get stolen this way so the cars really don't have to roll that much. Many times they pull them up onto a trailer or rollback. Being able to locate the car is probably the better solution. Professionals would rather haul it then figure out if it runs later...

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

I really think something like lojack is a better idea. We have to repossess cars sometimes and when we do they just pull up with a wrecker ,lift it and leave, 30 seconds max. I think many Z's get stolen this way so the cars really don't have to roll that much. Many times they pull them up onto a trailer or rollback. Being able to locate the car is probably the better solution. Professionals would rather haul it then figure out if it runs later...

I agree.  Most of the cheap & easy theft deterrents will only stop or slow down the spur of the moment thief looking for a joy ride.  If your car is worth more for parts or export, LoJack is the way to go.

Dennis

24 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Dennis,

Is there anyone other than Lojack for this technology?

LoJack is expensive so some people get a little creative.  One clever workaround I heard about was to buy a cheap used iPhone - cracked screen would be a good choice and then put it on a an inexpensive wireless pay as you go plan.  Hide it in the car, like by the taillights and hot wire it for continuous power.  Then use the "find my phone" feature to track it if the car is stolen.  Also, there are other commercial choices.

Dennis

• Like 1

There are a variety of GPS trackers out there now.  Amazon.com has quite a few in their lineup.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=vehicle+gps+tracker&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Avehicle+gps+tracker

I do some of this for work and discovered that Verizon has a fleet tracking and there are some others as well.  Verizon's system is designed for the newer ODBC ports on cars, but, there are other services that do not require this technology (I believe 1996 and newer cars are required).  There's no need to pay for a full service phone data plan because some of these vendors only need 3G speeds to track equipment.  The GPS positioning is a small amount of data.  Check out these sites:

http://intouchgps.com/

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/category/gps+tracking/vehicle+tracking+devices.do?campaign=131796383&adgroup=5472063743&keyword=car tracking service&network=g&adposition=1t3&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_9-9BRCqpZeZhLeOg68BEiQAOviWAl1eBuKAsHrRrMvOMy7YPoL-A5GIgrTblz4jVUTA09EaAvUu8P8HAQ

Or just do a search on Google.com for "car tracking services"

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=car tracking services

If you don't want to be bound by cellular, you can always use a satellite based system like the Spot Tracker:  http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Spot was used for many different rally races across the world.  

Tons of options available out there.

m

I was thinking about getting one of these. You only pay for gsm cellular data service month to month. Verizon has a plan thats real cheap i believe.

amazon auction

or a more sophisticated system that allows remote control functions. It says you can turn on the alarm remotely so i would imagine you see real time where the car is at and if it's traveling you could kill the ignition and they would have to

abandon the vehicle in the road.  A more suitable function would be to send a 1000volt shock to their arse.

amazon auction

21 minutes ago, hr369 said:

I was thinking about getting one of these.

Lots of 1 star reviews

25 minutes ago, hr369 said:

or a more sophisticated system that allows remote control functions

this one only has 8 reviews but they are all pretty good

32 minutes ago, hr369 said:

I was thinking about getting one of these. You only pay for gsm cellular data service month to month. Verizon has a plan thats real cheap i believe.

amazon auction

or a more sophisticated system that allows remote control functions. It says you can turn on the alarm remotely so i would imagine you see real time where the car is at and if it's traveling you could kill the ignition and they would have to

abandon the vehicle in the road.  A more suitable function would be to send a 1000volt shock to their arse.

amazon auction

Agree with the 1000 volts but you'd end up with a GT40 "Gurney Bubble" in your top.

30 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Lots of 1 star reviews

i've found that many bad reviews can be by customers that expect precision quality in a cheap china crap 20$ electronic or simply don't know how to use the thing. Some didn't realize that the battery didn't last a month before needing a recharge/new battery. Just to test the technology i was considering the cheaper one. There are a few remote areas around me that have no cell service. With my luck, thats where all the car thieves live

Edited by hr369