IGNORED

Won't start

Djanssen

You can look through the oil cap hole and the inlet valve cam lobe should be pointing upwards towards the sparkplugs side of the motor. Thats the one directly under the cap. If its down towards the manifold side, then you are between exhaust and compression strokes. Saves taking the valve cover off.

Another way is to remove number one spark plug and rotate the engine with your thumb over the hole. You will feel when its coming up on the compression stroke. Then rotate a little more until timing makes line up.

11 hours ago, Zed Head said:

The valves will be closed.

When it's on the compression stroke, which is what you want, line the biggest notch on the pulley with the "0" on the timing marker then take the very front spark plug out and get a hose or something stuck into the spark plug hole and blow or suck, whichever you prefer.  It should be airtight.

When you swapped ECUs did you put the plug wires back to 153624?

Get it to top dead center, pull the distributor cap off and snap a picture, post it.

The mark on the pulley is actually a notch in the metal, it's not painted on.  I don't see it in your picture.  I would slowly rotate the engine until I found the notch.  It should be close.  The cam lobe should be up as you show, but not necessarily straight up.

Pull the distributor and see if you've jammed it on to the spindle incorrectly.  One side is smaller than the other, but wear can make things loose.  People have also found that the gear can slip to where the distributor is not actually engaged with the spindle.  Grab the rotor with your hand and see if you can spin it.  It should be locked tight to the spindle.

Edited by Zed Head