IGNORED

5 speed tranny, any ideas?

The ZX transmission Cliff installed in his 240Z is out of a 2+2 and for all intention purposes its the same as the 280Z wide ratio. The 2+2 came with the 240mm clutch and wide ratio 5 speed transmission.

Pretty sure they stopped using the "wide-ratio" in 1980.  The 1979 ZX has the 280Z wide-ratio, but after that they're all close-ratio.  I have a close-ratio transmission from 1981 2+2 5 speed in my car.  But it does have the .773 5th gear ratio of the 1980 ZX.  Maybe an early 81 or a transplant.

Still, I think that the exhaust hangers and the speedo bolt will tell the story.  I don't think that there are any wide-ratio 5 speeds out there with the later ZX tail shaft housing.  Could be wrong of course, especially considering KDMatt's recent oddball box,, but I can't see why Nissan would make a partial transition to the ZX boxes.

Of course, we all know that after 35+ years, year of car loses importance also.  Count those hangers, check that bolt.

Have been at the mosquito infested junkyard all day. I have a good rubber boot now so no fumes can get in. Also got a couple of shifters to experiment with.

My transmission is a wide 5spd with two exhaust hangers at the tail. I can't explain why but it only works with the short snout shifter or fifth gear only works with the shorter one.

I'm going to grind the junkyard one where the scratches are and see if that'll work. If not I will have them cut and welded together.

Everything I've read says the long snout will work fine. I don't understand why mine won't? It only works with the close ratio shifter with the short snout.

I come home and find my puppy got bored and chewed my carpet up while I was gone. Another day another project. LOL

20160517_150805.jpg

12 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Everything I've read says the long snout will work fine. I don't understand why mine won't? It only works with the close ratio shifter with the short snout.

Hmmm...  Well here's something to worry about then - maybe the nut on the shaft really is coming loose and the ZX shifter is just allowing it to work.  Pushng the synchro sleeve farther so that it grabs the gear,which is trying to get away.  I don't know how you'd diagnose that.  Maybe a bore scope through the speedo gear hole.  Better keep an ear on things.

OR, the long shaft lever is for 4 speeds only.  If you get some good measurements I can see if I have a long shaft or short shaft wide-ratio bent lever, that worked with my early wide-ratio 5 speed.

That carpet needed chewing!  Puppy's trying to tell you something.

Edited by Zed Head

Our puppy  is a year old now and still chews shoes, sticks, clothes, electrical cords, fruit that falls off the trees in the yard that he brings in the house, and my arm occasionally.  Good luck on the journey!  From what we read, it will continue until he's two.  Looks like you may have a tile or wood flooring project in your future.

Dennis

1 hour ago, psdenno said:

Our puppy  is a year old now and still chews shoes, sticks, clothes, electrical cords, fruit that falls off the trees in the yard that he brings in the house, and my arm occasionally.  Good luck on the journey!  From what we read, it will continue until he's two.  Looks like you may have a tile or wood flooring project in your future.

Dennis

Ah yeah!  That's exactly what I'll do this Saturday.  I've temporarily cut it out so he won't pull any more up,  the little turd.  I'm trying to remember what you have, is it a Lab?

I have some 16x16 Travertine I'm going to put in front of the door.  After the "chew 'til they're two" phase I want to put that floating fake wood down.  This apartment has got hardwood as the sub floor but carpet or something like the laminate wood acts as an insulator in between upstairs where I live and the garage downstairs.  It's a little quieter up here with some type of floor covering, it was built in the late 50s, it's not too tight. 

middle-grade-travertine.jpg

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

That carpet needed chewing!  Puppy's trying to tell you something.

It's Berber!  That's like shag carpet now days.  He's pretty smart but I don't think his interior decorating skills will allow him to live indoors after many more surprises like this. ROFL

On 5/16/2016 at 4:50 PM, Dave WM said:

ok I get it completely now, saw the same marks, used a dermal drum sander to reshape along the problem areas. Remove a little bit go check do again.

Now I can shift and clearly see the detents are locking in before the shifter comes into contact with the oval hole on the striker rod head (that is where the marks come from. Glad I did this before installing, its much easier to see what happening with a bright light and getting close in.

If I had listened to Dave WM's post here I would be waaaay ahead of the game.  I'm a little slow to try things like he did but that is exactly what fixed mine.  I got a rusty spare to experiment with at the junkyard and ground a little, went 4 feet before it popped out of 5th.  Ground some more, 12ft.  Ground some more, touchdown!  Adjusted the valves too, head looked good.  Thanks for everybodies input, it's tough helping a hard headed guy like me.  I'm trying!

Here's the final grinding that worked,

DSC01450.JPG

Found some good rubber too.

DSC01458.JPG 

DSC01432.JPG

DSC01448.JPG

DSC01457.JPG

18 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Ah yeah!  That's exactly what I'll do this Saturday.  I've temporarily cut it out so he won't pull any more up,  the little $^!#.  I'm trying to remember what you have, is it a Lab?

I have some 16x16 Travertine I'm going to put in front of the door.  

Our chewer is a Cocker Spaniel in a state of perpetual teething.  In fact he just brought another orange in from outside while I was typing this.  That travertine looks really nice!  And puppyproof.  

Dennis