IGNORED

1971 HLS30-14938 "Lily" build

Patcon

30 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I'd remove any burrs from the end that needs to slip through the circlip.  Maybe even smooth the end of the axle down and reshape it a bit so that it slips through the circlip easier. Add some grease.  Once the end gets started it should slide easily until the grooves align and the clip drops in.  The axle end is probably jamming the circlip against the back of the groove instead of expanding it.

I did try that. I used a 2" Rolok brilo pad and smoothed the end a little bit and made sure there were no lips. I used grease too. Still no luck...

I'm not sure I can get the clip out of the diff. It's pretty far in there. Maybe 4-5"s. I had thought about getting it out and seeing if the axle would go in then, but again, not sure I can get it out.

22 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I used a 2" Rolok brilo pad and smoothed the end a little bit

I was thinking more like the grinding wheel that you used on the CV end.  There's room.  Grind away, I say.

image.png

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I was thinking more like the grinding wheel that you used on the CV end.  There's room.  Grind away, I say.

image.png

The end of the shaft is very conical. I'm thinking there's some other issue

Agreed, that pic was from Hybrids. The first was a JDM site selling the seal. It does not look like the cutaway part is as tall on the replacement piece. 

Placing it over the gap seems like it would be more useful, than starting at the gap. 

• Agree 1

I worked on the second quarter window some today. This is the remnants of one of the corner seals.

20240330_114451_resized.jpg

20240330_114454_resized.jpg

The old glass seal was crispy

20240330_115142_resized.jpg

I also got the proper bolts into the axle adapters

20240330_111334_resized.jpg

The stub axle side is 17mm 10.9's and the differential side are 22mm 10.9s. You can see in this picture the difference in length

20240330_111422_resized.jpg

I have the quarter windows most of the way done today.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...