IGNORED

1971 HLS30-14938 "Lily" build

Patcon

On 12/4/2023 at 11:34 AM, Namerow said:

Yes.  It's Part No. 64/65 in the online parts diagram, labeled as 'Rubber - Base Bumper'.  It has a lip that fits into the top of what I call the plenum duct (Part 55 - 'Assy - Rear Duct Ventilator').  On both of my 'bumper' pieces, the lip had disintegrated with age.  I had to fabricate a repair lip for each bumper, so they probably look a little 'non-stock'.  You can just barely see the new lip in my #2 picture.  Here's what they looked like before I made the repairs...

102_5753.JPG

Maybe these pieces were missing on your car?

I believe that these are not meant to be loose parts and were actually glued with an adhesive to the "plenum ducts" then installed as a unit. The materials seem very similar and are meant to be replaced as a unit if required. With these being obsolete your solution is a very good one. FYI, part No. 65 in the online parts diagram, labeled as 'Rubber - Base Bumper'. is actually for the rear bumper end bolts. I believe item 64 is mislabeled. And it appears the the packing/gasketing material is missing from the North American parts book that is also used for the Futofab online version. 

image.png

I just read all eight pages of this thread. I had forgotten about...

Lots of good info! It looks like Steve at 240zrubberparts might make those pieces although they don't show on his website. I will see what I receive from the ebay listing and then go from there

I received new  hatch vent finish grills from Resurrected Classics. They look very good and were reasonably priced. They also included barrel clips for locking them into the spring slips

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Thanks @Namerow @CanTechZ

Part #12 90827-e4100 doesn't even come up at Courtesy as a good part number. I can't find that part on carpartsmanual to see if the number is different. It's an interesting dilemma

I am pretty confident I don't have any pieces like that unless they're still stuck inside the hatch...

Here are a few pics as I was taking my 7/70 apart for reference. The packing material is a dense foam, like used in other places, and was very dried out, basically crumbled during dis-assembly. 

image.jpeg

20200927_094127 (1).jpg

20200927_094831 (1).jpg

20231206_142216.jpg

20231206_142456.jpg

Pulled these out of storage today and cleaned one them up, I lucked out and they seem to be in quite good shape for being 53 years old. Here are a few more pics of the clean one that you can use to compare to yours. You will note that when both parts are glued together a slot is formed to retain the clip that holds everything together.

20231206_152311.jpg

20231206_152953.jpg

20231206_153116.jpg

20231206_153126.jpg

When I removed the chromed plastic grills from the top side 3 of the four pins broke off. I did find remnants of a barrel clip as well, but it might have been from a emblem.

20231206_153358.jpg

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I just read all eight pages of this thread. I had forgotten about...

Lots of good info! It looks like Steve at 240zrubberparts might make those pieces although they don't show on his website. I will see what I receive from the ebay listing and then go from there

I received new  hatch vent finish grills from Resurrected Classics. They look very good and were reasonably priced. They also included barrel clips for locking them into the spring slips

Great info, that for sharing that. Also good to hear that the parts from RC are good.

• Like 2

Here are a few more pix to help illustrate the lip on the 'bumper'.  In its OE form, the lip -- looked at from end view -- is actually beveled... lip on the top, no lip on the bottom.

102_5797 small.jpg

When coming up with fix for the disintegrated/nonexistent lips on my bumpers, I ignored that little detail.  My replacement lips were cut as strips from a sheet of 1/8", closed-cell foam.  After a trial fit, I cut them to length and then glued them into each bumper.  Not all that pretty, but functional (and completely out of sight after everything's assembled).

102_5801 small.jpg

102_5806 small.jpg

102_5813 small.jpg

102_5808 small.jpg

I should mention that attention to detail will pay off in this part of your restoration.  More specifically, lack of attention to detail will probably result in exhaust leaks into the cabin once you get the car out on the road again (this part of the early Zs' design was, to be charitable, not very successful -- too many parts, hard to assemble, didn't work that well).  As others have mentioned, several of the pieces tend to warp with age.  In the case of my car, the plenum moldings had both caved in at the top, meaning that they weren't going to seal well against bumpers without a little help.  I just cut a piece of plastic to the right length and glued it into the plenum as a wedge so that the plenum flange became reasonably flat again.

102_5820 small.jpg

Another place to watch out for warping is the hatch trim panel.  For my car, both ends were dished by a quarter inch or more (clearly visible in this photo).  This panel has to achieve an airtight seal against the hatch sheet metal.  Otherwise, the ventilation ductwork, with its one-way airflow control flaps, gets bypassed and air/exhaust gets sucked into the cabin by way of the hatch cavity*. Here, once again, I resorted to my 'squishy' sill wall foam tape to make a new gasket.  Even that wasn't enough to overcome the warpage in the trim panel.  I had to create some new holes on the inner hatch sheet metal to accept a pair of additional plastic trim plugs on each side of the panel.  In hindsight, I probably should have spent the bucks for a new trim panel. 

102_5829 small.jpg

102_5830 small.jpg

All of this just underscores the fact that the entire airpath from the ventilator grill to cabin entry has to be airtight and the one-way airflow control flaps have to be in good condition.  If your air control flaps have settled into a permanent droop (mine had), try turning them over before reinstalling.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great pictures! Those help a lot. I am probably going to buy all new interior pieces from Resurrected classics so they all match. That will include a new hatch panel with flaps. I had also figured I would need to seal all that up really well

Here are the new grills

20231211_161322_resized.jpg

20231211_161332_resized.jpg

They included barrel clips

20231211_161326_resized.jpg

This would match what I found on disassembly. I believe this was the original method for mounting the vents. I think it was revised later to use a spring nut in the vent to hold the emblem stud

I blacked out some areas. I didn't try to be neat and I blacked more than the factory did.

20231211_163437_resized.jpg

20231211_163431_resized.jpg

20231211_163434_resized.jpg

20231211_163434_resized_1.jpg

The hatch vents definitely have some warpage.

20231211_165005_resized.jpg

20231211_165007_resized.jpg

20231211_165016_resized.jpg

I gently heated them tonight and propped them up with paper. Haven't made any pictures yet

What do you think this slot is for?20231211_164858_resized.jpg

Also do you just glue the interior trim to this vertical panel? Do you use jute here?

20231213_170548_resized.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Patcon said:

What do you think this slot is for?20231211_164858_resized.jpg

Also do you just glue the interior trim to this vertical panel? Do you use jute here?

20231213_170548_resized.jpg

edit: I believe the slot you are pointing to is for cabin air to escape though the hatch. The slot above is sealed to the hatch to drain water. The flaps on the hatch interior panel stops exhaust fumes from entering the cabin while letting air exit. I hope I got that right.

On my 7/70 there was no jute in this area. The vinyl was glued directly to the painted steel.

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Patcon said:

The hatch vents definitely have some warpage.

20231211_165005_resized.jpg

20231211_165007_resized.jpg

20231211_165016_resized.jpg

I gently heated them tonight and propped them up with paper. Haven't made any pictures yet

What do you think this slot is for?

I wouldn't worry about warpage in the lower slot as it doesn't seal. On mine I am lucky that the sealed slot sealing face has virtually no warpage while the lower slot does.

20231214_061638.jpg

20231214_061702.jpg

• Like 1