IGNORED

Blowby-too much smoke!

zmanoside

I've reused mine multiple times. If it does come off the valve cover, leave the bolts after loosening them up and it should stay, make sure and put the front straight side on the drivers side. I put mine on upside down once and had a small vacuum leak.

I'd be hoping it's in the valve where it's loosing pressure from not seating / sealing tight. Seems easiest to repair to me.

• Like 1

Ok cool. That makes me feel better about taking it off. I dint want to take it off and wait for another gasket to arrive so I can bring it to my friend. I'll take it off tonight and read up on how to adjust. I hope so too. That would be awesome but from everything I've read all I keep hearing in my head is ring ring ring. 

If you have access to a bore scope that would be the thing to do.  A broken ring would probably leave signs as MM says.  Very light signs, hopefully.  I've read of people disassembling old turbo engines that didn't have any visible bore damage and having the rings fall out in pieces.  Probably depends on the ring, and the lubrication, and how it breaks.

if the comp changed after adding oil, i doubt it's valve related.

the oil assists with sealing where the ring is failing. it's possible to re-ring #6 with the engine in the car - just a pain and messy. you'll need to pull the head, then jack it up, pull the oil pan, pull the big end rod bolts, push the piston up through the top, re-ring and reverse install. can be done in a day w/the right tools on hand. only thing is, if you have significant scoring from a broken ring you'll need to hone, possibly bore. you can hone with the engine in the car, but really need to be careful about masking off the rest of the engine from the grit and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning... 

these blocks are pretty tough so you may be lucky enough to get away w/just a re-ring, then it's cost of the ring set, new  head/pan gasket and done.

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

I'd be hoping it's in the valve where it's loosing pressure from not seating / sealing tight. Seems easiest to repair to me.

Unfortunately, a poor sealing valve wouldn't leak into the crankcase or the valve cover creating the fog and pressure coming from the crankcase. A leaky intake valve would leak back into the intake port. A leaky exhaust valve would leak into the exhaust port. That much compression loss and resultant back pressure is almost certainly piston, piston rings, bore or any combination of them. 

Sounds like one way or another the engine is coming out.

Yeah, Rossiz is right about the blocks. I wouldn't be too surprised if you can still see honing marks from the rebuild. You may be able to just re ring it if there is nothing else wrong but I'd want to know why the ring(s) broke? Got to be a reason.

4 hours ago, siteunseen said:

He says the rings gaps not staggered right could be a cause?

Wow, I hope so. I hadn't thought of that possibility. Also I've never dealt with that problem so I don't know how much effect that has. Kinda makes sense tho because of the fresh build. Five good cyls. One bad. You may get by with just spinning the rings to their proper position and reassembling it. Labor and gaskets. Engine in the car. This may have a happy ending yet.:)

• Like 1

Ok so I have the valve cover off. Went to turn the cam and it doesn't move. At all. All of the plugs are removed. It just feels locked up. I used as much strength as I could and it did not move. Am I supposed to loosen something else to be able to turn it?? I'm watching 2 YouTube videos on valve adjustments on L series motors and they don't mention loosening anything. Luckily the heel of the exhaust lobe on the cam on 6 is pointed up, where it should be to check correct? I don't expect a reply cause it's 250 am and you are all sleeping! Damn night shift!

from what I've read after posting this is either a broken valve or rod or perhaps there is a piece of the ring in the cylinder that is preventing the piston to move? But how is this possible if the car ran fine??

image.jpeg

Edited by zmanoside

That's exactly what I did my friend. Tranny in neutral, all plugs out using the main bolt on the camshaft that has the timing chain directly on top of it turning clockwise if you are looking to the rear of the car. Won't turn. I just tried again and almost pulled a hammy. Won't turn one bit.