IGNORED

WTB: Hitachi Radio

Gav240z

Brought another one back from the dead. Not bad for a 46 year old radio.  The power light burned out so I replaced it with a red led.  Much brighter than the old bulb. In daylight I could barely see the light with the old bulb.

The single jpg of the radio label was what I had to start with. It was the best one I could find on the web.  Tweaking aspect ratios and tweaking layers isn't my cup of tea but considering what I started out with, it turned out pretty good.

IMG_2963.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

Screenshot at 2016-09-11 14:24:21.png

hitachi-1080zb-1.jpg

• Like 1

Just went back into my photo archives and found this radio i had.  It's an 1081A with the green light that came out of this early car #721 that was totalled a few years ago. 

However, I cannot verify that the radio was added later as I don't know the history of this car.

Perhaps other people know the history and can verify if it was original to the car. 

240-radio2.jpg

number-721-3-radio.jpg

Edited by hr369

39 minutes ago, Gav240z said:

Well done, feel like sharing the document with the labels? It would save me a bunch of time. :)

If you want an exact replica you would need to change the OK stamp back to red and use a color printer but it's a good place to start from.

I've seen some labels without the red OK stamp too. 

final-worked-1081-labels.doc

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

@Kats I'm not 100% sure the A vs B model designation only applies to the colour of the globe, but so far that's what I've observed. The A seems to be fitted to earlier car. Nearly every radio I've found from an Australian delivered car has a Green led. The only red 1 I have was from eBay and out of an early North American market HLS30.

To update my progress here:

I just finished restoring a radio or re-plating the hardware that arrived battered and bruised.

Video of it working here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VonPvkZ95MR1McA46

My question for Greg or anyone else here, is where can you get the RF Chokes from? Does anyone have a suitable supply? I'm referring to the little coil thing that sits next to the glass fuse in the plastic fuse holder and the spring with it ideally.

Pictured below (with a spring, any idea where to find the spring also?)..

93400562_10157600869156843_7520218067184386048_o.jpg

Good news is I found the fuse holder here for purchase.

https://www.240zrubberparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/7920455

I have the reproduction stickers thanks to Greg earlier in this thread.

I think this is the right OEM power and speaker loom connector here.

http://www.vintageconnections.com/Products/Detail/66

I also have reproduction faceplates and knobs..thankfully.

So to finish my radio's restoration off I just need to find:

1. The spring that goes inside the fuse holder.

2. RF Choke itself (coil thing pictured above) - That suppresses unwanted noise.

3. A suitable operating globe (green / ignition switch light) - not the operating light LED itself (on front panel). I shamefully dropped the globe by accident and it shattered so need to source a replacement, even an LED with Green condom over it would be suitable. Just need to know the size or what others have used?

Any suggestions on where to get these 3 items would be very much appreciated..

IMG_20161114_170924.jpg

IMG_20180916_214333.jpg

IMG20200416174105.jpg

IMG20200417005108.jpg

IMG20200417005112.jpg

IMG20200417190429.jpg

IMG20200417215553.jpg

IMG20200417223009.jpg

RE: #3 the globe.

Attached is a photo of it, you can see I broke it when I accidentally dropped it on a tile floor. It looks similar to the BA9's in the Gauge Clusters but the bayonet is a bit different? Perhaps that doesn't matter? Anyone know if you can get green LEDs to replace it or another suitable alternative?

IMG20200424133733.jpg

Hi Gav---

Very nice work restoring your radio!

I think you need a ba7s bulb---

Here's a link to the bulb and dimensional drawings so that you can confirm fitment clearances.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-and-subminiature-bulbs/ba7s-led-bulb-1-led-ba7s-retrofit-car/10/76/?gclid=CjwKCAjwnIr1BRAWEiwA6GpwNY4zgUw__K-ofFFCw1QEY9q7xIUt6ILpyRrSvUIGgdD1BgXCZCfctRoCyFkQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gav240z said:

Any ideas on the RF choke and spring?

Best bet is to reach out to fellow hoarders for replacements.

There are more than a few here who have gutted the original radio internals and have just recycled the case and faceplate, using Retro-sound, or equal, modern solid state components for their myriad features (Bluetooth, etc.)

These wouldn't need the rf choke and probably have their own integral fusing. Someone surely has kept these original bits and might pass them on to you for your restoration.

Put out a plea in the "Wanted" classifieds-----

@zKars or @jfa.series1  might have spares--unfortunately I do not. I will ask around and see if any turn up from my contacts.

• Like 1