IGNORED

sweatys rebuild

sweatybetty

On 6/17/2017 at 9:52 AM, sweatybetty said:

wheee, overall the kit worked out well and is the only kit available that is cut pile and covers the entire interior. i dont care for the vinyl. the material is kind of on the cheap side, though. the front floor and rear cargo floor parts are bound on the edges and have padding on them. the parts that arent bound tend to unravel if you pull on a loose string.

if i had known that before i bought the kit, i probably would have done things differently.

Do you mean you would have bound the other carpet edges like the mats or gone another way?....

21 hours ago, wheee! said:

Do you mean you would have bound the other carpet edges like the mats or gone another way?....

the carpet quality is not that great. i glued it on the rear strut towers and below the doors. it wont come off without destroying the carpet, so if you do use this kit, take your time and double check everything before gluing in place.

i bought some carpet from a local shop to finish under the seats and up the firewall. that carpet is much higher quality,

hind-site, i probably would have paid the extra to have the local guy make the stuff for me

Interesting.... I was thinking of using velcro strips glued to the towers, then gluing the velcro receiver to the back of the carpet. That would make it removable for cleaning etc. But maybe I will try and build a carpet set myself then. I have the old vinyl for templates...

new door seals that i bought from ? installed the drivers door seal and the door WOULD NOT CLOSE :angry::angry:  so, went to the local wrecking yard and found a kia sportage, bought the seals for $30, and they fit well, but not as nice as i want. so, i found these on ebay  http://www.ebay.com/itm/15Ft-Car-Door-Trunk-Rubber-Seal-Edge-Strip-Trim-Soundproof-Moulding-All-Weather-/132232103180?hash=item1ec9a5c50c:g:T6YAAOSwFJBZSNtz&vxp=mtr#shpCntId

ordered 2 -15 foot kits, and they arrived today. they fit well, but the only complaint is they have a strange odor that seems to be fading away. door closes nicely with a bit of force which i think should improve over time

new seal on the left, kia on the right

DSCN0343.JPG

upper corner

DSCN0344.JPG

DSCN0345.JPG

DSCN0346.JPG

DSCN0348.JPG

Edited by sweatybetty

It just presses and snaps on.  Plastic on plastic, if I remember right.  But the plastic bits on the inside are usually worn.  Look inside the chrome cup-shaped piece and you'll see the remains of what was supposed to happen.  I had to pick up some wrecking yard parts to get one that would stay on.

Never mind, those are 280Z details.  Looks like 240Z is different.  I looked at your picture.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sweatybetty said:

anyone know ho to get the chrome trim to snap in place on the door pulls?

You have to back off the mounting screws to that perfect torque that keeps the screws from vibrating loose but slack enough to allow room for the plastic cap to sink into the door panel enough to snap over the clip. At least if the screw does back out it will be captive within the cap until you start over, I have tried just a little smear of sealant on the threads in the past.

• 2 weeks later...