IGNORED

Cataloging 240z factory manufacture paint marks

AZ-240z

14 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

Oh yea, here's my offer on an early oil pan!  Love the yellow paint mark update!  That's just how my car looked when I took it apart.  Splotches and drips - way cool!  I may still have an example of the red paint.  I'll look.

Thanks for the positive critique Chris.  Am I sensing an interest in my early oil pan?  It has been

media blasted and painted with gloss black catalyzed paint.  Would be great to have a color

code or sample match for the red.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys, Guys, Guys, don't over do it!!! I'm in the process of prepping what should be the next 240 Gold medallion car for the 2020 convention. Here's the way I apply the yellow to achieve the correct look. I buy a can of School Bus Yellow spray paint at Lowe's/Home Depot, brand not important. At the same time I buy 3-4 1 inch foam brushes. Spray the paint into the plastic can cap, dip the foam brush into the yellow and apply. Results aren't too neat and the paint is thin, just like Nissan did it. 

Very interesting discussion about the red trans marks. Absolutely not the same from car to car and not always red. My last restoration, 10/71 Red with white, had a multi color piece of art on top of the trans. Difficult to reproduce but I think I did that line worker justice. Unfortunately can't seem to be able to find the picture I can't be sure I took, damn!

Oh Yeah, don't forget the blue assembly marks on the balance pipe freeze plugs. AND the blue dot on the 240 fuse link. Just scratched the surface of this topic and have created enough confusion for now.     Cheers

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zspert said:

When I'm done in a couple of months I'll post some pix.

Thanks zspert.  The support you gave me was a major factor in my car’s Gold Medallion success.

There are few with your depth of knowledge and experience with respect to factory originality  when 

talking about the Datsun 240z.  The Z community will always benefit from your successes.

Edited by AZ-240z
  • Like 4