IGNORED

Sealing an oil pan

siteunseen

One more question (for a minute), I bought the stainless bolt set from zcardepot.  Half are short the other a little taller, pretty sure those are for those flat steel rails which mine doesn't have.  So the first time I used them on the sides where you can see daylight through the holes on the block so they can't bottom out.  Does that sound okay?  The longer bolts on the sides.  Thanks for the advice.

No, no, no all bolts must seat on the pan with simple finger tightening. Sorry I don't remember where the longer bolts go. I suggest you remove all the bolts, sort out the longer bolts, and systematically insert them into each hole. If one doesn't seat with finger tightening, remove it and move on to the next hole. Once you have seated all the long bolts, install the remaining short bolts in the remaining holes.

The holes are tapped to different levels. A shorter bolt will fit in a deeper hole but not vice versa.

BTW I pulled out Tom Monroe's book to double check the torque specs. On Pg 132 oil pan bolts are set to 4-7 ftlbs (0.6-1.0kgm) or 48-84 inchlbs. (and that ain't much).

Edited by djwarner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

One more question (for a minute), I bought the stainless bolt set from zcardepot.  Half are short the other a little taller, pretty sure those are for those flat steel rails which mine doesn't have.  So the first time I used them on the sides where you can see daylight through the holes on the block so they can't bottom out.  Does that sound okay?  The longer bolts on the sides.  Thanks for the advice.

Cliff, try to find a set of the steel rails.  They are there to keep the pan flat and spread the pressure from the bolts and you are likely to have leaks without them.  If I had a set, I'd be happy to send them to you, but it would be spring before I could get to my spare engines to pull a set.  I'm sure somebody here has a set laying around.  The longer bolts do go where the steel rails go.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Cliff, try to find a set of the steel rails.  They are there to keep the pan flat and spread the pressure from the bolts and you are likely to have leaks without them.  If I had a set, I'd be happy to send them to you, but it would be spring before I could get to my spare engines to pull a set.  I'm sure somebody here has a set laying around.  The longer bolts do go where the steel rails go.

I've got these two pieces. Will they work on a 240 pan? I have a ZX pan. Thanks guys!

1453658223819.thumb.jpg.08a2e2266fb882c4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...