IGNORED

Redwing's Car - An Update

SteveJ

OH OH OH....., I forgot to ask. I filled up today with 100% gas, 10 gallons. I added another alcohol fuel treatment into it first. Then drove on home. SHE DROVE MARVOUSLY!

Could that good gas be working that quickly in her engine? Sure seemed like it, so silky smooth to drive.

Thank you,

Jai

Sorry, Jai. I can't remember if I saw a sticker when I had it out. If you do take it out, be sure to disconnect the battery first.

Um hmmmm.....

It's ok, you don't have to remember everything. There IS a lot crammed into your head,

you know so much about these Zeeeee's.

Thanks, will do.

Jai

I had pushed her to the side of the road, then taken the time to text my son to see if he was nearby to tow us home. Sat back down to pull the hood latch and was just about to get out, but instead I tried to start her once more. Thinking no she won't, but she did start! It all happened so fast, not the usual 20 - 30 minute wait. So, no, I didn't really have the time. I must be quicker I guess, not push her or text my son first.

It was odd tho, for it was just like she coughed, twice, immediately before she died. That seemed different.

Jai

She has a 76 with the lower energy ignition system.  You might be thinking of 78 and on.  Spec. for 76 is actually .031 - .035" so it was on the high end.

I looked back through the original thread but can't find anything about miles on the engine.  My 76 had high miles and worn valve seals and burned some oil at high RPM.  Those plugs seem pretty black and the fact the engine ran very well but you still ended up with black, wet plugs, after just a few miles with the new plugs seems to indicate some oil leakage in tot he cylinders.

I can't recall much at all either, about the general state of the car when received.  Maybe it's a high mile car that sat, or a low mile car that sat, or a high mile car that was a daily driver.  The first two could cause a little rust in the cylinders that might wear in to shape, the last would mean it just is the way it is.

Zed,

Sorry I did not reply to this post. RB has 94,896 miles showing. I have no idea if the odometer has rolled over. She was in great condition when I received her. Except she needed a rack & pinion, which I had done. As to the past driving record, or if sitting for a time, again I have no idea. She was a 1 owner car in Arizona. When I got her she came with the original title, apparently passed thru at least one person without being re titled. I say this because, how in the world did she get from Arizona to Miami, Florida where I found her on eBay?

Everyone who looks at her, interior and engine, say that she was well loved/kept in good condition. I feel extremely fortunate that she is the car I bought. Being a novice, I could have been really taken. I did have a friend in Miami go look at her, and she passed his approval. He is in the car business so his word was good. She was advertised as having an AC, but it is non functioning, even hoses laying in the engine not hooked up. So he made the deal for me, minus $1,100 for the non working AC.

Hope this helps in your thinking.

Jai

PHOTOS ...... I took photos of the ICM just now. The one of the sticker, I am sharing 2 photos for it is hard to exactly read the number. The first digit is either a G or a 6. The third number is either a 2 or Z. I believe they are G and Z. My ancient eyes did not see them, had to use camera. Also, took a photo of pink lettering. And if you look close, it appears to have duct tape residue on it. Looks like this was a replacement part, what do you say?

Including a photo of a red connecting bar that has letters spaced across it. I flipped the photo so you can see them. This is FYI, don't know if that is a replacement or even if this is important.

There is a red cord with an end on it coming out of a bundle, that is connected to nothing, can be seen in the photo with the pink writing. Also, another photo showing the same bundle of wires with one that is connected, but bare wire showing. Any ideas folks? Would any of these cause my non functioning right side flashers?

Thank you all for the great information you share with me.

Jai 😇 🚘post-30236-0-99713500-1447171486_thumb.jpost-30236-0-43917400-1447172230_thumb.jpost-30236-0-23580100-1447172289_thumb.jpost-30236-0-57908800-1447172359_thumb.jpost-30236-0-67415900-1447172425_thumb.j

Edited by Redwing

That is the TIU on the passengers side of the vehicle. It is the correct type for a californian car. E12-12 is the correct type number. Its the type with 5 wires. The very early 75 280Z had the E12-9 TIU and they had 6 wires, the extra being an extra Black/White stripe power wire.

Do you think there is something wrong with it? They generally cause trouble when they are hot (about 15-30 minutes running), but you have had problems just after starting and still coldish. So much going on in this thread I lost track a bit.

You can test it the next time it plays up by spraying freon on the TIU to force cool it and see if it starts.

• Like 1

That is the TIU on the passengers side of the vehicle. It is the correct type for a californian car. E12-12 is the correct type number. Its the type with 5 wires. The very early 75 280Z had the E12-9 TIU and they had 6 wires, the extra being an extra Black/White stripe power wire.

Do you think there is something wrong with it? They generally cause trouble when they are hot (about 15-30 minutes running), but you have had problems just after starting and still coldish. So much going on in this thread I lost track a bit.

You can test it the next time it plays up by spraying freon on the TIU to force cool it and see if it starts.

Euro Dat,

Thank you for qualifying that for me. Since RedBird also has a catalytic converter, I guess it is safe to say she is a California gal.

She does have starting problems, as well as suddenly dying, and restarting problems. rcb280z has offered to send me an ECU and the TIU to try with and see if her problems will go away. I do so appreciate his help, I really need her to be reliable. I will have to search out freon or buy some, unless anyone else has a better idea.

Thanks again,

Jai